What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + iPhone default calendar reminder issues

Jmbb37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having a puzzling issue with syncing calendar items between my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4S. I have all day events on both devices set up so that the default reminder is 9am the day of the event. I use all day events when I set up birthday reminders for myself. Well, today it is my friend Tom's birthday, and despite the fact that I have both devices set to alert me in the exact same way, one went off at 12am last night (iPad) and the other went off at 9am this morning (iPhone).

After a bit of experimenting I discovered that the device I create the event on (in this case, the iPhone) sets up the alert the way it is supposed to. However, after it syncs to my other device (in this case, the iPad), the alert is mistakenly set up for 12am the day of. So if it was created on the iPhone, it would be wrong on the iPad and vice versa.

Some more details that might help:

-I use Google Sync for my calendar events across all my devices (iPad, iPhone, Mac (home) and PC (work)). I would switch to iCloud for everything but as I understand it, iCloud's control panel doesn't work with Windows XP, and it is absolutely imperative that my work calendar makes it onto my mobile devices.
-I have all Google Calendar alerts turned off completely, so I don't believe the issue lies with how the two devices sync with each other through Google. That being said, even with Calendar alerts turned off, when I look at each individual birthday in Google Calendar, a "Pop-up at 0 minutes" alert appears when a new all-day event is created. I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with it, but I wouldn't exactly know how to remedy it.
-When I set up calendar events for a specific time during the day, the sync works perfectly, including my default 2 hour alert for both devices.

Obviously this isn't a life or death scenario but it would be nice to figure out what is going on. If there is some setting I am overlooking, please let me know. Anybody have similar issues?

Thanks,

JMB

OP
J

Jmbb37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update, I found a fix, at least for the birthdays. If I actually use the "Birthday" field in my contacts for the birthdays I want to set up, instead of creating an all-day appointment, the reminders seem to transfer between the devices with no problem. This doesn't really answer the question about why regular all-day events wouldn't transfer correctly, however.

LishaPitts2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know how to set reminder alerts that go off numerous times, until the task is complete?
Thanks!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts