What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get Safari to view local html files?

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my defence, this is a description from the Apple web site - " Save articles to your Reading List and read them later — even without an Internet connection.". I guess I made a bad assumption that applied to the iPad reading list too...

Anyway, I am looking for some app that can read a locally stored catalogue of web pages(HTML & JavaScript). A catalogue that I created and I hope to be able to manually transfer to my iPad which is iPad1 so that it doesn't depend on Internet connection at all. I can't depend on Safari or GoodReader to save the catalogue from the Internet.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I searched for 'offline html viewer' in the App Store. Two products turned up that look like they may fit your needs; Web Express and HTML Presenter

In your opinion, do you think I could implement my idea of having a local catalogue web site installed on the iPad using GoodReader or HTML Presenter or Web Express and the web site transferred by having the Absinthe installed?

Please let me know so that I can make a decision for buying the appropriate app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're asking the wrong person about jailbreaking (Absinthe). I've considered it on an occasion or two, but for what I do (and want to do) the benefits do not outweigh the inconveniences.

If I were needing to do what I think you are trying to do, I'd go a completely different route. Probably a database app like HanDBase or Bento. Bento, only if you have a Mac and are willing to buy the OS X version of the app.

Or, I'd give up the interactivity and use a PDF.

Or, (again if I have a Mac) I might try something using iBooks Author. I've played with it a bit, and while not perfect for the job, it should be possible to create a decent catalog.

The other day I ran across the Swipe2D site. It might be worth looking into as well. I can not tell wether their app will create a stand alone catalog that you don't have to publish to the app store, but you could ask them. There is a dearth of information on the main page, and no access to more without signing up or sending an email. Neither worth my time.

Hold in mind I'm not endorsing them. I don't know anything more than what's on the home page and app description; and a Google did not turn up any reviews to sate my curiosity.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Update, sort of.

I decided I wanted to re-read a book, but when I looked around I discovered all I had was an HTML version of it. So, copied then entire book folder to GoodReader to see what would happen. The book appears exactly as it would when being viewed on my computer browser (local files).

Hold in mind that the folder contains all the resources for the book.

Of course the book is only HTML (with frames), no CSS or Javascript; but if you have a sample catalog already you might try copying the folder to GoodReader, then opening the home page html file, just to see what happens.

Can't hurt to try.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Grrrr... Never mind.

While the first page displays in all it's glory, the links don't' work, quite. It quickly goes to the next chapter/page, but then reverts to page one again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Might still be worth a try. It's the frame view for the books that isn't working. If I go to a frameless view things seem to work; not well enough to read easily, the font is too small and can't be resized, but it suggests it's an incompatibility in the browser, not a feature of GoodReader itself.

I also sprang for the HTML Presenter app. Kind of a pain, since you have to package the HTML files as a .zip file and sync through DropBox (files are local after the sync). It works exactly like GoodReader. That suggests the problem is a WebKit problem.
That is actually encouraging. The books are several years old, so a more modern website would be unlikely to have the same problems. And if GoodReader is acting the same as an app that is supposed to display full interactive web sties, then it's very possible that Javascript and CSS are going to work there as well.

HTML Presenter seems a bit buggy, btw. There were other inconstancies, minor but annoying, that forced me to clear it from RAM and restart.

I've given up on porting the HTML books to the iPad, for now. Just reading then on the computer. (sigh)

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're asking the wrong person about jailbreaking (Absinthe). I've considered it on an occasion or two, but for what I do (and want to do) the benefits do not outweigh the inconveniences.

Or, (again if I have a Mac) I might try something using iBooks Author. I've played with it a bit, and while not perfect for the job, it should be possible to create a decent catalog.

The other day I ran across the Swipe2D site. It might be worth looking into as well. I can not tell wether their app will create a stand alone catalog that you don't have to publish to the app store, but you could ask them. There is a dearth of information on the main page, and no access to more without signing up or sending an email. Neither worth my time.

I appreciate very much your kind effort searching for all these nice apps for me.

I don't have a Mac. This is the first time I venture on Apple product. The iBooks Author and Swipt2D, which are free, look very good. Are you saying the iBookds Author needs a Mac computer, not an iPad?

Nevertheless, I do not want to reinvent the wheel since I have already had a web site done and I try not to do something system-specific at this stage. All my computer systems are Windows. I have supposed HTML and JavaScript are universal. I Have just Googled and found GoodReader seems to have problems with JavaScript. Without JavaScript, I would have problem with background graphics and menu graphics. So GoodReader is out of the question. So is Web Express.

The HTML Presenter seems to be okay in this regard. One thing I am concerned though is whether it would allow me to manually transfer files over instead of saving pages online.

By the way, what inconveniences that would outweigh benefits using Absinthe? Would you know whether Absinthe is supposed to provide back-door access to iPad so that I can transfer files?

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided I wanted to re-read a book, but when I looked around I discovered all I had was an HTML version of it. So, copied then entire book folder to GoodReader to see what would happen. The book appears exactly as it would when being viewed on my computer browser (local files).

Hold in mind that the folder contains all the resources for the book.

Of course the book is only HTML (with frames), no CSS or Javascript; but if you have a sample catalog already you might try copying the folder to GoodReader, then opening the home page html file, just to see what happens.

No JavaScript, no good. My web site is self-contained. No external source is required.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I also sprang for the HTML Presenter app. Kind of a pain, since you have to package the HTML files as a .zip file and sync through DropBox (files are local after the sync). It works exactly like GoodReader. That suggests the problem is a WebKit problem.

HTML Presenter seems a bit buggy, btw. There were other inconstancies, minor but annoying, that forced me to clear it from RAM and restart.

If the HTML Presenter works and I don't mind to go through the trouble of dropping a zip file through DropBox. So I suppose the HTML Presenter provides the function of synching through the DropBox. Will the iPad unzip the file?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
HTML presenter worked directly with the .zip file, no need to uncompress manually. I assume it does the unzipping behind the scenes when you open the file for presentation, and other wise leaves it zipped to save storage space.

If it works for you, please let us know.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
HTML presenter worked directly with the .zip file, no need to uncompress manually. I assume it does the unzipping behind the scenes when you open the file for presentation, and other wise leaves it zipped to save storage space.

GoodReader will zip/unzip files, btw. Just in case you run into the need for some other reason.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I hope it still works when the hyperlink on one page is getting another page from within the same ZIP file.

For a start I shall try to get some free useful app for which I need to transfer some files over from the Windows system so that I can test the Absinthe if I need it for the file transfer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hope it still works when the hyperlink on one page is getting another page from within the same ZIP file.

The book was composed of several html files. When I went to the frameless mode (a choice in the in book) it had no problem linking to other chapters/files.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts