How to get rid of newsstand articles - or newsstand altogether

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by donnyb, Nov 9, 2011.

1. donnyb

donnyb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I signed up for a few free issues of different magazines, and now am not interested in any of them. How do I unsubscribe? Or better yet, how do just delete Newsstand altogether? I am certain I won't be using it again.

2. iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    You cannot delete newsstand. You can hide it in a folder though. This takes timing and skill. You can google how to do it if you are interested. Or I can spell it out. Let me know.

3. Czevski

Czevski
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Just move newsstand to an unused last page. That's where I've put the "permanent" apps I don't use.

4. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ahhhh...the Purgatory, or Limbo Page....

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

#4 Mtnmedic, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  5. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No you can't get rid of the Newstand. It doesn't bother me but it does bother quite a few members here. As someone else has said you can hide it in a folder, but this is by way of a glitch in the system, there is a thread where someone has stated that this goes against the IOS and that you will have issues down the line with it as regards to crashing and with other problems that this might cause elsewhere. The best solution I feel if you don't like it is to put it on the last page where you don't have to see it so much.

6. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Its pretty obvious that Apple has to start providing the capability to move and or delete stuff/icons we dont want. It cant be that big of a deal. I understand Apples somewhat locked-down policies and thats fine. But, just being able to delete icons or whatever shouldnt be like pulling teeth.

7. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Apple is making a bundle off their version of Publisher's Clearing House and they don't even have to offer a sweepstakes. And just like PCH is the snail mail version of spam, so is Newsstand. They ain't gonna get rid of it or allow you to do so.

As for sticking it in another folder where it's less intrusive and ugly, I doubt that you will damage anything by doing so. If you can, it means iOS5 is a far less robust OS than it claims to be. The advice not to monkey with Newsstand comes from a poster whose firm creates Newsstand enabled apps, so you may want to consider the source. But placing Newsstand in a folder is not a really satisfactory solution, either . If you happen to subscribe to a periodical that has been abducted by Newsstand you cannot access it outside of Newsstand (or remove it from Newsstand) and if you try to access it with Newsstand in a folder, Newsstand will crash. Best to just stick it on your limbo page and not subscribe to periodicals on the iPad. Apple is apparently requiring all periodicals to sign up for Newsstand so you soon will have no option if you want to subscribe to a periodical.

#7 jsh1120, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  8. MadChef

MadChef
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Banish it to the limbo page and use Zinio, if you want magazines.

☮ ♥ 

9. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Zinio. Love it.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

10. donnyb

donnyb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    OK, I banished it to the limbo page. Now, how do I "unsubscribe" from the two subscriptions I started?