1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

How to get rid of newsstand articles - or newsstand altogether

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by donnyb, Nov 9, 2011.

1. donnyb

donnyb iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I signed up for a few free issues of different magazines, and now am not interested in any of them. How do I unsubscribe? Or better yet, how do just delete Newsstand altogether? I am certain I won't be using it again.
  2. iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You cannot delete newsstand. You can hide it in a folder though. This takes timing and skill. You can google how to do it if you are interested. Or I can spell it out. Let me know.
  3. Czevski

Czevski iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    Just move newsstand to an unused last page. That's where I've put the "permanent" apps I don't use.
  4. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Ahhhh...the Purgatory, or Limbo Page....

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  5. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,282 / 0
    No you can't get rid of the Newstand. It doesn't bother me but it does bother quite a few members here. As someone else has said you can hide it in a folder, but this is by way of a glitch in the system, there is a thread where someone has stated that this goes against the IOS and that you will have issues down the line with it as regards to crashing and with other problems that this might cause elsewhere. The best solution I feel if you don't like it is to put it on the last page where you don't have to see it so much.
  6. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    Its pretty obvious that Apple has to start providing the capability to move and or delete stuff/icons we dont want. It cant be that big of a deal. I understand Apples somewhat locked-down policies and thats fine. But, just being able to delete icons or whatever shouldnt be like pulling teeth.
  7. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Apple is making a bundle off their version of Publisher's Clearing House and they don't even have to offer a sweepstakes. And just like PCH is the snail mail version of spam, so is Newsstand. They ain't gonna get rid of it or allow you to do so.

As for sticking it in another folder where it's less intrusive and ugly, I doubt that you will damage anything by doing so. If you can, it means iOS5 is a far less robust OS than it claims to be. The advice not to monkey with Newsstand comes from a poster whose firm creates Newsstand enabled apps, so you may want to consider the source. But placing Newsstand in a folder is not a really satisfactory solution, either . If you happen to subscribe to a periodical that has been abducted by Newsstand you cannot access it outside of Newsstand (or remove it from Newsstand) and if you try to access it with Newsstand in a folder, Newsstand will crash. Best to just stick it on your limbo page and not subscribe to periodicals on the iPad. Apple is apparently requiring all periodicals to sign up for Newsstand so you soon will have no option if you want to subscribe to a periodical.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  8. MadChef

MadChef iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Banish it to the limbo page and use Zinio, if you want magazines.

☮ ♥ 
  9. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Zinio. Love it.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  10. donnyb

donnyb iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK, I banished it to the limbo page. Now, how do I "unsubscribe" from the two subscriptions I started?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    Wow. That's not sounding good. I don't like choices being taken away, especially when it comes to stuff like this. The iPad is a great device for magazine reading too. Too bad.

I pulled down a sample issue of Once magazine just to try it out. We'll see how it goes.
  12. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    If you don't like your choices being limited, you're in the wrong product line. Steve Jobs was a giant in terms of understanding how best to structure a consumer experience. And he had an ego to match. Consumer choice was not a priority; consumers could make the wrong choices. If you don't like Steve's choices, buy something else. Just how obsessive he was about such things is clear from his recent biography. In his last days in the hospital he insisted on choosing what he considered to be the best designed oxygen mask and demanded that six models be presented to him so he could choose.

If this bothers you, you have two alternatives. You can find another product line that offers more choices. I doubt I have to tell you where to find such products. Or you can simply accept the fact that the iPad (and all Apple products) has a particular "personality" that you can adapt to using. In a way this is no different from any "appliance." You learn to use your car the way it was designed. You probably don't fret over the fact that you didn't get a choice of the user interface for the radio; you simply adapt. It may annoy you for years but you're willing to put up with it because you like other aspects of your automobile.

Newsstand is an ugly pimple on the iPad's lovely face (imo). And I'll do what I can not to use it on principle. But it's just one more annoyance on that side of the iPad scale. So far, that side is outweighed by the iPad's benefits.