how to get 3g in france

Discussion in 'Europe' started by eurowolf, May 27, 2010.

1. eurowolf

eurowolf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    going to france in june and july
    where do I get the correct microsim and a dataplan?

2. longshadows

longshadows
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Micro SIM in France

I am interested in the same thing. I'm going to France in August and would like to buy a micro-SIM and data plan through a French telecom provider. Has anyone had experience with this and which provider offers the best (really) short-term data plan.

3. Sutheri

Sutheri
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    3G service in France for ipad

I was just in Barcelona and was able to buy a 1gb plan for 4 days with Orange for 20 euros.

According to the sales rep for Orange in Paris, I needed to have a French bank account before I could purchase access. Perhaps the reason was that France does not have prepaid 3G??

PS. In order to activate the micro sim card, you must connect the iPad to a pc or laptop via iTunes or else it won't work

4. GailLA

GailLA
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Boy they sure don't make it easy for you to give them your money. Hopefully this will improve in time.

5. wooglin

wooglin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just to be sure, you were able to get your ipad running on Orange's network in Spain without a Spanish-based (or European-based) credit card?

Secondly, do you think that micro-sim card would have worked if you traveled into France with it?

Thx

6. Sutheri

Sutheri
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I used a north american credit card in Spain. I gave the address of my friend who I stayed with in Barcelona as the address on the application.

The sim card did not work in France.

7. Linda B.

Linda B.
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    3G not so easy in France

I've been here in France for 10 days with my new iPad. I had researched it before I left the USA and it appeared it would be easy to get prepaid 3G service over here, since I didn't want to depend on WiFi. I have been in probably 15 Orange and SFR stores (and one Bouyg store) and gotten about 15 versions. First of all, most of them don't even have the microsim chip or don't offer prepaid. I was able to buy a three-day card at SFR in Paris for 9.9 €' but they gave me the wrong code and it quit working after a day, requiring another trip to the SFR store and hour wait. The Orange store is SUPPOSED to have a three-day deal, but in the store they'll offer a one-day for 8€, which is pretty pricey. The web site shows a month plan, but you need a French account, no exceptions. (Had I known, I would have tried to open an account in the States with a French bank.)

I'm open to suggestions for an easier way to get 3G for the remainder of our vacation. I'm new to these forums, (and new to Apple and the iPad.) though, so please be kind. I know I'm an ignorant tourist.

Linda B.

PS. My technophobe husband had no use for the iPad until I got him on the ESPN app, and now he's a convert.

8. MarkK

MarkK
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It used to be easier, but since these Terrorist threats, they wanted to make it difficult to get anonymous data-access. Therfore, they require you to have a french bank account as a means of identification.
    It's the same in most other countries as wll actually. No more anonymous wireless access.

9. Linda B.

Linda B.
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Mark K.

Thanks for the logic behind the rule. Much easier to go with the flow when you understand why. And it does make sense.

I talked with a couple from the USA who are moving here to France and they spent hours trying to open a French bank account and deposit money. The bank required proof of income, for a DEPOSIT! But it's a beautiful country, the food is great, and the people have been so nice and oh so polite.

However, if anyone has any tips on prepaid 3G service, I'm open for suggestions. Until then it's wee-fee for me. (or wifi as we say in the US)

À bientôt,
    Linda B.

10. MarkK

MarkK
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Bonjour Linda.
    I curretly live in Germany. It's just as difficult here. No SIM-cards without proof of identity.
    I have some prepaid cards available for friends who come to visit from abroad. That way, they can use their equipment here without any hassle.