How to do several activities in same time while watching a youtube video?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Kevin_Barnes, Aug 12, 2019 at 1:07 AM.

1. Kevin_Barnes

Kevin_Barnes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Is there an option to work in email and browse online while watching a youtube video. I mean do several activities while watching a video.
    Am I missing something?

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That depends on your iPad and iOS version.

You can use two apps at the same time with Split View, Picture in Picture and Slide Over. To use these, iOS 11 or later has to be installed on your device, which has to be an iPad Pro, iPad Air (1 or 2 and later), iPad mini (from 2 or 4 onwards), or iPad (5th generation).

Here’s how to use these:
    Use Multitasking on your iPad

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello Kevin - the link provided by Johanna provides the information to use apps simultaneously in a number of ways, of course, presuming that you have the updated hardware/software that is needed. As an example, when I'm reading a book on my iPad Pro (in the Books or Kindle apps), I often like to have a Safari window open to lookup a more detailed discussion - below is my device in 'split view' - my book on telecommunications open on the left and Safari w/ a Wiki tab on the right (the vertical split bar can be adjusted). Good luck - easy to do w/ the right equipment. Dave :)
    IMG_8262.PNG

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Last I checked YouTube only allows picture-in-picture if you have a subscription. The free account only lets you use p-in-p inside the Youtube app itself. Even then, it sometimes refuses to show p-in-p.

I’ve heard that there a a few apps in the App Store that will make videos playing in Safari work p-in-p. A search of the store may turn them up.