What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to disable an app from updating

jklein8708

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Slingbox app, and I know that if I update it to the new version it will no longer work with my Slingbox hardware. Is there a way to tell the ipad to never update this app, or do I just have to leave the update message there forever and make sure not to touch it?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've wondered the same thing to.
Fortunately updates are less numerous than they were after 4.2 came out, so guess we just have to exercise self control........

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good point. If 5 apps happened to have updates, and one you don't want to, seems to be no other way other than to manually do each one. Too bad there isn't a check off box or something. And then the number appears there until you update, so you just have to deal with the annoyance of it appearing that way. (it would drive me crazy!).

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None that I know of. Did Sligbox drop support for your device?

Yes Sling is a greedy, horrible corporation that slapped a new sticker on a device that does nothing over the old device and stopped it from working just to sell its users the latest device...which as I mentioned has NO new features.

It's not enough that they charge you twice for an app on the same OS...they also decided to rebrand the hardware and discontinue support.

So if the OP updates the app that works perfectly fine...it will cease to work..and he will have to go buy a new sling box!! How shady is that???? Shouldnt that be illegal?!??!?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Typical Apple - They always know better.
Looking at the bright side of it, they force you to protect the iPAD against bugs that may cause harm to the device.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Typical Apple - They always know better.
But the reason the OP does not want to update is because Slingbox will not work with the latest iOS so this appears to be a Slingbox problem, not an Apple problem.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reason I didn't want updates was the hideous practise of updating games to reflect seasonal activities........christmas, halloween..
Bah Humbug ! :)

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I don't own a Sligbox, and after reading this I won't ever own one.

I agree this kind of thing should be made illegal. Planned obsolescence has been illegal in the US for several decades, but software has not been regulated in the same way. They can just claim that the App is a free gift to people who use the latest version of their product, and you get screwed.

Can you "jailbreak" the Slingbox and make it appear to be a later model?

Make sure you write an appropriate review and give the rating in the AppStore that Slingbox deserves ;)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Planned obsolescence has been illegal in the US for several decades, but software has not been regulated in the same way.
Really???

Can you site the specific law that says this? Is there a law that says that every manufacturer is required to support every product they have ever made into perpetuity?

dalmos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I trying to find how to stop getting update notification but look like that is not possible. I hate to see massage that something is still now updated and I have very slow net connection to update now. So it will be great if you can for example stop or disable update for some period of time. Let say week,month etc... Later when you switch on new updates will show up. End of story. On that way you can stop having icons during slow net time or when using 3G
What you guys think about that.

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts