How to delete folders in my photos?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by Gracie1982, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Gracie1982

Gracie1982
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi....just w

Need help on how to delete my other folders in my photos?

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Gracie - you need to provide some further information; first, I'm assuming that you are talking about the native Photo App - correct? If so, then how were these folders created, i.e. from w/i the app or synced from your computer? If the latter, then you will need to deselect the computer based folders (or images) and then sync again - the unselected folder(s)/images will be removed from the iPad - good luck & let us know if this helps - Dave :)

3. Gracie1982

Gracie1982
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Dave can you do it step by step pls?

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Gracie - well, you did not respond to my initial questions so providing a definite answer(s) is difficult but I'll make some assumptions - first that you are using the native Photo App of the iPad (i.e. the icon w/ the yellow sunflower), and second that the folders you are discussing were created by syncing from your computer w/ iTunes - these are critical assumptions, but I will try to briefly discuss the folders in the native app - please refer to the image attached which is from my own iPad (click on the pic to enlarge).

There are a number of folders that are present: 1) Camera Roll (CR) - contains images from various sources, e.g. those taken w/ the camera, pics imported from a digital camera and shared w/ the CR, and images saved from the web (Wi-Fi sync options also exist); Imported Albums - in my pic, these are the 'Last Import' & 'All Imported' - these are made when images are brought in from a camera using the CCK (camera connection kit); Synced Folders - in my case, 'Kachinas' & 'iPad Photos'; and Folders made w/i the Photo App - again, on my iPad, 'Travels' and 'New'.

NOW, how can these folders be manipulated? In the CR, images can be easily deleted (BUT, keep in mind that if these were used in folders made w/i the Photo App, the images are only 'linked' and will be 'deleted everywhere' which is the warning message); Imported images can also be deleted w/i their folders; Folders that are made w/i the app behave similarly, i.e. individual images can be removed w/i those folders; HOWEVER, for folders synced from iTunes (in my case 'Kachinas' & 'iPad Photos'), these CANNOT be removed from w/i the photo app - images and/or folders must be 'deselected' in iTunes and then the iPad re-synced, then these chosen images and/or folders will be removed from the iPad - that is why I have a folder named 'iPad Photos' - easy to control which images you want on the device. Hope this helps - good luck! :)

TPhotoApp.png

5. Gracie1982

Gracie1982
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info Dave. I will try to follow your instructions...I will tell you in I still didn't get it. :)

6. Gracie1982

Gracie1982
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Dave I tried to sync my iPad from my computer but it said that my iPad is copying 8 thousand plus of pictures from my computer and I don't want it. So I always stop the syncing. Did I do the right thing? I'm so confuse. Grace

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Gracie - sorry and I understand your frustration; if fact, I try to avoid using iTunes for my music & photo transfers (there are other easier options) - just don't like the sync confusion that exists in that program.

SO, your choices are: 1) Try to work w/ iTunes; or 2) Use a non-iTunes choice, typically a Wi-Fi third party solution. The important caveat w/ iTunes is to 'turn off' sync w/ all photo folders (which will load all images from your computer onto the iPad!) - please see the attached image of my iPad in iTunes - notice that I have 'sync selected folders' chosen & in my pictures folder (on the MacBook Pro), I have checked 'iPad Photos', 'Kachinas', & 'Chincoteague...' - nothing else; NOW, when I performed a sync w/ the iPad, the first 2 folders (see my previous screenshot) were 'preserved' on the iPad (if they had been unchecked, then their iPad folders would be deleted) - the 'Chincoteague..' folder (a vacation we took May 2012) was ADDED to my iPad. Thus, by checking & unchecking specific folders (or removing and/or adding images into folders), you can control what is added to or deleted from the iPad.

I'll stop there for the moment to see if you want to try working w/ iTunes? If not, then option 2) above can be addressed - good luck! Dave :)

PhotoSync_iTunes2.png

8. Gracie1982

Gracie1982
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Dave as soon as I connected my iPad to my computer there is one thing that always pop up. I took picture of it so you will see the actual message.

Attached Files:

9. Gracie1982

Gracie1982
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    When I click the default program, it's very confusing which should I click to fix it.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Boy, Gracie - this is really getting more confusing and now evolving into 'audio' file assignments, i.e. I'm assuming that you are on a Windows computer (Windows Media Player - WMP) - correct? The screen captures that you are showing indicate that your audio file extensions appear to be associated w/ either iTunes or WMP - NOW, this is a completely different issue from what we've been discussing about your photo questions. You can follow the links to decide on associating your audio extensions w/ either WMP or w/ iTunes - your choice depending on how you play your audio files on your computer - not sure from this end?

I think that you need to 'sort out' this audio dialog box and then return to your first question in this thread on your photos - this may be the time to suggest that I wish we were sitting together @ your computer to resolve these issues - do you have any family members and/or friends that are computer savvy to help you out? I'm just suggesting that your issues are more complex than just the photo question - again, I'll let you consider my responses and see if you can correct the audio issue and then get back to iTunes and the photo problem? Sorry that I can't offer more 'hands on' advice but just hard to do in this cyberspace format - Dave :)