How long does an iPad retain data?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by peter4711, Aug 17, 2016.

1. peter4711

peter4711
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi
    I was wondering how long an iPad can retain data, particularly apps and app data, with out being connected to a power source? Mine is an iPad 4 with sim card and 64 memory.

2. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Indefinitely. Apps and data won't be lost even if the battery runs out.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Peter - as already stated by Kevin, your apps/data are retained indefinitely. Like so many of our portable devices & accessories these days, NAND Flash Memory is used which is non-volatile and does not require power to be preserved - plenty of hits if you care to 'google' the term in italics, such as HERE.

NOW, flash memory does 'wear out' eventually but I suspect not w/i the ownership time of most of these devices, e.g. I have an iPod Touch 2G that is over 6 y/o and still retains over 100 hrs of MP3 music. Also, keep in mind that there are quality differences between 'flash memory' - the SSD drives in my Apple laptops are certainly better than the inexpensive 'thumb drives' I own. Dave :)

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    On the other hand, storing an iPad with no charge for an extended time will cause battery damage. Even turned off, an iPad will slowly lose charge over time. Apple recomends (last I heard) a 50% charge on your device if you intend to turn it off for and extended period of time. Evidently there is a downside to long term storage with 100% charge as well. No idea what that is, but it's probably less damaging than no-charge.

Rechargeable battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This, not how long memory is retained, is the limiting factor in how long you can leave your iPad in storage. That said, I'm not sure how long that that time is. It probably varies a bit; but given that you can buy iPads off the shelf that are more than a year old, you're probably safe with that (at 50% charge).

5. jwt873

jwt873
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I still have my iPad 1 that I got a few years back when they first came out. I've let it sit literally for months without using it (with a charged battery) and it's never lost any data... Not only that, the battery life is still pretty good :)

6. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    You won't lose anything. :D