What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How important is local storage to you?

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it looks like Best Buy is only selling the black models and only the 3G with AT&T according to their website as of right now. I was considering the white Verizon model because I think the white looks a little cleaner and Verizon has far better coverage in the places I tend to find myself in. However, I'm stuck with Best Buy since we have a Best Buy card and get the 18 month financing. But it is what it is.

So back to my question. In reading these forums I've discovered that I can keep all of my word files and such on my computer here at home and use a remote desktop app to access them all and even use Word to work on my writings. The more and more I think about it, the more and more I think I can go with the 16G model. The only things I'll actually be storing on my iPad2 are the apps themselves and maybe a movie or two when I go on vacation. I won't be storing any music on it, got my iPod for that (and how can I jog with an iPad2 tucked in my pocket?). Since I've paid the Best Buy card off I can get the 64G but I want accessories like the Zagg screen protector, the smart cover or another book style cover that will also turn off / turn on the machine, the keyboard / dock and of course Apple Care. I want the extra storage "just in case" (that's always my excuse) but I also want to save a little money so I can get the accessories I want. So I think I'm going to settle on the 32G.

With all those things in mind, how important is local storage to you? I just want to see what everyone else's reasoning is and how they are going to approach it.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it looks like Best Buy is only selling the black models and only the 3G with AT&T according to their website as of right now. I was considering the white Verizon model because I think the white looks a little cleaner and Verizon has far better coverage in the places I tend to find myself in. However, I'm stuck with Best Buy since we have a Best Buy card and get the 18 month financing. But it is what it is.

So back to my question. In reading these forums I've discovered that I can keep all of my word files and such on my computer here at home and use a remote desktop app to access them all and even use Word to work on my writings. The more and more I think about it, the more and more I think I can go with the 16G model. The only things I'll actually be storing on my iPad2 are the apps themselves and maybe a movie or two when I go on vacation. I won't be storing any music on it, got my iPod for that (and how can I jog with an iPad2 tucked in my pocket?). Since I've paid the Best Buy card off I can get the 64G but I want accessories like the Zagg screen protector, the smart cover or another book style cover that will also turn off / turn on the machine, the keyboard / dock and of course Apple Care. I want the extra storage "just in case" (that's always my excuse) but I also want to save a little money so I can get the accessories I want. So I think I'm going to settle on the 32G.

With all those things in mind, how important is local storage to you? I just want to see what everyone else's reasoning is and how they are going to approach it.
I have the iPad1 32GB 3G and it'd filled to 15 GB only. Cloud storage is not able to do some of the things id like to do on the road such as plug a video camera. I use a NAS at home so it takes care of my storage needs and I can plug other drives, card readers and thumb drives. But for the rare times I go out for long periods I'd like a portable NAS with a portable router. That would be the ultimate!
For now my NAS can be configured for remote use but I can't seem to succeed yet...

Last edited:

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
16 might not be enough

I've found that more and more apps are taking up a lot of space. Especially the new enhanced books (like Vooks) and enhanced magazines. These are being sold as separate apps and are space hogs. My 16 G is not enough now. So if you're planning for down the road, you might go at least with the 32.

Most reactions

Latest posts