What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do non-Retina optimized apps look on a retina screen?

Sincity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally decided that I should get an iPad over an Android despite the flaws I see in using iTunes and lack of SD card. Overall, as a reader, the 4:3 screen is superior to the 16:9 screen. Plus, I like how the store separates iPhone and Pad apps.

Now, I'm on the fence between a 2 or "3." My question is how the non-optimized apps look on a Retina screen? Do they look as sharp as they would on an iPad 2 screen?

L

Lunar

Yes. Nothing is different.

AFAIK the screen on the iPad 2 is virtually the same as on my old iPad 1 but with a much thinner screen glass, and a close comparison between the two, when looking at identical none optimised apps, to me the iPad 3 looks a little better, a touch sharper to my eye. JMO

I note you mention 'Reader' so if you think you would be using it a lot for reading books ect, then the choice is a little more obvious as the text even on none optimised apps looks sharper/cleaner. If your choice is between 2 brand new units, I would go with the iPad 3, as it will hold it's price better, and may be worth paying the extra for, but with some good offers being available on iPad 2's and if the saving is substantial then I can see the temptation going that direction too (Though second hand value may fall more)

In view of the fact I skipped the iPad 2, others may be able to offer a 100% definative reply.

My advice would be to go to a store, and compare both for yourself. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had all three and would strongly recommend going for the new iPad if you are buying your first one. Refurb iPads and iPad2s are available from Apple with warranty if you are looking to save some money but the defining differences to me are the vastly superior screen, greatly quicker speed, 4G LTE availability when you need off wifi speed, and the rear camera is vastly superior to the iPad2 (iPad has none, of course). I have never needed an SD reader as I use either my AirStash 32 GB or my camera connection for that. It's there when you need it. iTunes is a tremendous advantage for you.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally decided that I should get an iPad over an Android despite the flaws I see in using iTunes and lack of SD card. Overall, as a reader, the 4:3 screen is superior to the 16:9 screen. Plus, I like how the store separates iPhone and Pad apps.

Now, I'm on the fence between a 2 or "3." My question is how the non-optimized apps look on a Retina screen? Do they look as sharp as they would on an iPad 2 screen?

They will look pretty much identical as they do on the iPad 2

OP
S

Sincity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice. I will be using it as a PDF reader to read my Mad Magazine and N-Scale train collections. Too bad there is no SD card option so I can load up the 15+ mb (some up tp 54 mb) for each issue like I did testing the Androids. I'm going to try to upload into my hotmail and try to download it when I go to Best Buy again to see the diff.

OP
S

Sincity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got back and loaded up the pdf. It is amazing. Also loaded up the same webpage and compared with the iPad2 side-by-side and there is NO comparison. Time to order soon.

EDIT: Just ordered a White 32gb.

Last edited:

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try dropbox, should work for what you are trying to do.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts