What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I know that my Ipad is using my home Wifi and not 3g

martinc31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but how do I know that when I am at home the Ipad is using wifi to access the internet rather than 3g?

I would hate for it to be using up my 2g of data while I am 10 feet from my wireless router.

It does recognize my network and it says wi-fi is on in my settings.

Saundman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When in your home on WIFI; Go to Settings on the iPad and Turn off the Cellular Data.

Turn it back on when you leave the house.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the upper left bar on the screen, it will tell you what you are on. It will show how many bars followed by AT&T. Then it will show what you are connected to. If AT&T, it will show 3G, E, or O. If it is wifi, it will show the wifi strength indicator.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but how do I know that when I am at home the Ipad is using wifi to access the internet rather than 3g?

I would hate for it to be using up my 2g of data while I am 10 feet from my wireless router.

It does recognize my network and it says wi-fi is on in my settings.

If wifi is on and active your iPad will always use wifi over 3G

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If wifi is on and active your iPad will always use wifi over 3G
Theoretically that is true. I have had rare occasions when I have been within range of my home wifi and it did not change over. I just rebooted the iPad and it worked fine. If a person is really paranoid about it, then they may want to be able to tell at a glance what their status is.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Its Simple.

When using 3G on the top left corner near the AT&T it will say 3G or E or O meaning you are on the cellular network.

When on wifi it will show the wifi signal waves.

Most reactions

Latest posts