What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I video myself while using a different app?

Fat Mans Pants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been trying to figure out how to video myself, from my ipad, while using a different app. Does anybody know of a specific app to use or how I can achieve this?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
You're talking about screen casting from your iPad. There was an app a while ago that could do it but it was removed. Luckily I was able to purchase it before it was removed. You best bet is jailbreaking your device. I think that Display Rec. is now available Cydia store

Jinxy15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to record video from the front facing camera while playing back video on the screen? The idea being to capture reactions in the highest resolution possible of the person reacting to and watching the video playing? I’m surprised this seems so difficult to achieve, but perhaps I’m searching in the wrong places or miswording my searches. I always end up with information on how to record my screen when searching.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to record video from the front facing camera while playing back video on the screen? The idea being to capture reactions in the highest resolution possible of the person reacting to and watching the video playing? I’m surprised this seems so difficult to achieve, but perhaps I’m searching in the wrong places or miswording my searches. I always end up with information on how to record my screen when searching.
That would mean having two Apps open and running at the same time, which I don’t think is possible on an IPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know of any way to do this, and I don't know of any appy specialized for what you want. The closest I could think of was to play the movie in picture-in-picture mode then use the camera to record, but the movie freezes when the camera app is open.

Most people who want to make reaction movies play the movie and film the subject on separate devices. You then put them together in video editing software. You can do a very basic picture-in-picture movie using iMovie. You can do a much better job of it using Luma Fusion, but it's not free and takes a little more learning.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That would mean having two Apps open and running at the same time, which I don’t think is possible on an IPad.

You can have a maximum of four apps running at a time; two in slide-by-side, one in slide over, and one video playing picture-in-picture (or audio playing in the background). However the camera app doesn't allow movies to play while it is open. At least not in my experience. Don't know why. Could be hardware limits, software limits, or it never occurred to anyone that someone would want this.

Stage manager, when it comes out, will let four apps on the screen at a time. Limited to iPads with the new M1 and soon (hopefully) M2 iPads.

Note: You might be able to keep a map app navigating for in in the background as well.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can have a maximum of four apps running at a time; two in slide-by-side, one in slide over, and one video playing picture-in-picture (or audio playing in the background). However the camera app doesn't allow movies to play while it is open. At least not in my experience. Don't know why. Could be hardware limits, software limits, or it never occurred to anyone that someone would want this.

Stage manager, when it comes out, will let four apps on the screen at a time. Limited to iPads with the new M1 and soon (hopefully) M2 iPads.

Note: You might be able to keep a map app navigating for in in the background as well.
You are right! My brain wasn’t working!

Most reactions

Latest posts