Air video on different network?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by DarkLordEnron, Aug 10, 2010.

1. DarkLordEnron

DarkLordEnron
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Sure thing, I'll get right on that for ya and I'll include the correct settings for both the router port forwarding and AV server instance. When you're in IT, you sometimes have one of "those days". :D

#11 DarkLordEnron, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. DarkLordEnron

DarkLordEnron
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Here are the settings you should be using to get this to work correctly if you're on a simple LAN and your server computer is operating 24/7 (so you can access your media 24/7. Obviously, if your server isn't running, you can't access anything from it. 0.o)

1: make sure AirVideo has these settings already set up before forwarding your ports. Click on "Settings" to bring this pane up. (Your password can be anything, just so long as it's relatively secure. Try using at least 4 letters, one uppercase and one number at the minimum. Remember, anyone who knows your server's IP can potentially gain access to it if they know what they're doing.)

[​IMG]

2: Your port forwarding window should look like this once you've entered all the necissary information into your router. (Rightmost pane)

[​IMG]

3: This is what your router should display once you've confirmed all the changes. Wait at least 10 minutes before trying to access your media as sometimes the router needs that time to apply the changes. Do not check the "Automatically map port" function in the server settings, as this won't let you connect to the server. The AirVideo site is confusing, telling you to check it, but it didn't work at all for me when I did it that way.

[​IMG]

#12 DarkLordEnron, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. DarkLordEnron

DarkLordEnron
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm heading to Sblarbluck's now to test out these settings, i'll report back from there and confirm if these settings work.

4. DarkLordEnron

DarkLordEnron
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Well, it works. I'm streaming Lord of the rings from a starlucks about 15 miles from home base. Connecting to your server may take a little while longer than expected, and your bandwidth is obviously limited by the establishments router and upspeed. But just let her buffer a bit and you're gold! I'm now thinking I could've gotten awaymwith the base iPad model and simply stream everything I need at a moments notice. Dropbox combined with airvideo and good reader...iPad can't get much better than these apps for me right now!

5. HaxEJxuK

HaxEJxuK
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Great to hear it's working for you.

6. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Damn I've got to try this. Just because I can. :)

7. HaxEJxuK

HaxEJxuK
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You should. I used to drive down to my brother's house to copy clips to my external HDD but I don't do it anymore. I just watch it directly from my iPad now. sometimes it's choppy that I have to lower quality but it works.