1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

How Can I Return an App?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Jrs22, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Jrs22

Jrs22 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I was scrolling through a list of apps in the app store yesterday on my IPad. I must have pressed too hard because in an instant an app was installed and I was charged $4.99. I wasn't asked to log in or approve the purchase - it was just there on my IPad. I sent an email to Apple but it's 24 hours and I haven't heard back from them.

I deleted my credit card info to protect myself in the future but I want a refund!
  2. bastones

bastones iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You'll need to contact Apple or iTunes Customer Services or something. Because you have done this I'd wait a few more days as they should respond. Otherwise try contacting Apple via iTunes to request a refund.
  3. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    So you are saying that you accidently tapped buy, then install? And they never asked for you password, just billed you?
  4. Jrs22

Jrs22 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Just one tap and then I was out of the app store and it was installing. And I wasn't even intending to tap - I was intending to swipe!
  5. K1W1

K1W1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If you are logged in within I think 15 minutes it wont ask you for a password.
  6. Jrs22

Jrs22 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That could be what happened as I was downloading free versions of note apps to compare. This was within 15 minutes of the previous download.

I'm glad I waited for a response from Apple. I was just informed that I would receive refunds for this app as well as one I "purchased" a while ago under the same circumstances.
  7. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hmmm. I didn't know that one, thanks.
  8. Jrs22

Jrs22 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So it seems as if according to Apple once you log in then they don't have to ask to approve purchases for 15 minutes. After some correspondence with the person who approved the refunds I took 3 steps:

(1). I reset warnings in the ITunes store. This is supposed to prevent unauthorized purchases by preventing "inadvertent" purchases as happened to me. I did this even though I never knowingly changed the warning from the default. It's easier than corresponding with Apple Customer Support.

(2). I had asked how to prevent inadvertent in-app purchases. This is set on each device under General Settings. Maybe this explains why free children's games like Talking Tom are at the top of the list for in-app purchases.

(3). I delete my credit card information after every purchase.
  9. HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Happened to me once too, ended up buying something that was designed for a pilot to use while flying. Must have tapped on it by accident.

It was too long ago to get a refund, oh well~

Maybe someday I will get my pilot license so I can make use of the App. :)
  10. MacVaio

MacVaio iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sometimes is worst. You buy an app with high expectations then it turns out that the darn thing is so-so. Not bad not good either. What can you do? Specially if is € .79 ($ .99). Is not worth the trouble to return it...

My ego says: U failed again! :eek: At least some others buyers do it accidentally or by mistake.

MaciHolophone (that one goes next in my list of € .79 indulgences) :D
  11. GenerationX

GenerationX iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thats positive thinking :)
  12. X0047

X0047 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I purchased the stock spy app on my ipad2 thinking it it was 4.99$ but it turns out 19.99$ I called the author Calvin and he told me that there is a way to refund since 4.99$ is only for iPhone .
    How to do it?

Thanks
  13. sagarinorodhel

sagarinorodhel iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Omg! Its expensive
  14. X0047

X0047 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know even the author said that there should be a fix for that
  15. sagarinorodhel

sagarinorodhel iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats good..
  16. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Apple's policy is that all app sales are final. However if you have a reasonable argument (and you haven't abused the system) they will often allow an exception and issue a refund.

Go to the iTunes store and log into your account. Under "Purchase History" click on "See all". Find the app in question and click on the small arrow to the left of it. On the detail page click on the "Report a Problem" button or if there's no button, click on the "Report a Problem" link which is listed next to the price. A new page with a text box will open and you can make your case. Apple will reply with their decision within a few days.

In the future make sure which device the app will work on before buying it. Apps are listed separately for iPhone or iPad. If it will work on both it's listed as "Universal".

Hope that helps and best of luck!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2011
  17. X0047

X0047 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Rich, yeah your right I saw the video on YouTube regarding the refund process, I did it hope they will refund me, I did however mentioned my reason and that the author himself told me to do so.

Thanks
  18. hotstuff

hotstuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    which in fact is illegal by consumer standards and practices , im surprised apple did not get a fine from congress over this "no refund, no support customer policy"

Some countries got tough with apple demanding a 5 day ratio to refund or forget the 10 million users but apple insists to continue the abuse on the USA since everyone in the US lives of crdit which is about to impload, eventually law makers catch up with them and share the wealth., as usual., then patent a new law against digital marketing abuses and apple has tons ranging from online cyber staff propaganda supporters (indirectly employed ) to others who get freebies for defending their game., the location data tracking was nothing, we are engaging in a information war at the moment with several countries,

For example the patenting of Samsung products with apples logo is a bully lawsuite, sure samsungs iphones and ipads look alike, just like the SONY displays on our imacs, and for samsung its normal that tablets gradually got thinner, but apple just patent the next supply in the USA (getting US government back up internationally) but got the parts from samsung, you see how provocative of wars the US can be now, if you ever go to japan you can see newer thinner products then the ipad today but they never make the mainstream US market, once a US or EU company patents something the goverment starts backing up the products using any means, to protect their own interests, i do think samsung crossed the line but it should give you an idea of how wars start with the USA, based on economical interests, from iran to lybia none of them where humanitarian, dont forget the war on US civilians atm, police dont protect the public any more but treat them like criminals in the US, even Israelis dot treat arabs in israel like that.

This is called capitalism (not a democracy) my friendly ipad users., big fish eats the little fish regardless of right or wrong, same with coca cola, the lawsuite over david bowies name etc

the policy should be that with out developers providing demos NONE of their apps should come near the story, not that Apple themselves get to play with the demos and decide if they like to put it on the store which is backwards

i think that's fair in the consumer regulations are don't you, other wise sony, samsung, etc etc will sell products too with no refund policies.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  19. snowboarder8985

snowboarder8985 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I got a refund from apple for a flash video viewer that did not work. Turns out all the comments were from the creator and friends to make the app look better.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  20. hotstuff

hotstuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got a refund of 108 dollars for a unauthorized purchase I had no idea about, at least according to a email from apple, boy we re heading for some exciting crazy times, hope people get by with the mess out there

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF