What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horror story with iTunes sync - please help

TiaMargia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Tia and I have just joined th Forum.
I have just bought an iPad2 which was delivered two days ago.
I've only had it two days and it has already caused me unforeseen problems trying to synch it with iTunes.
Today, I've had to re-install iTunes on my computer, lost all my iPod Touch music in my library and have been bamboozled by all the horror stories I've read on the Web relating to synching and losing data.
So after a frazzled day, I am not a happy bunny and am beginning to question whether I have done the right thing investing in an iPad2 when it has messed up synching my iPod Touch already.
Today, it also took a two hour phone call to Apple Support to fix and delete two rogue Bonjour files from my computer so I was able to re-install iTunes.
I'm hoping to find answers on this Forum and be convinced by other iPad users that I did in fact make a good investment.
To be honest, I'm now extremely nervous about connecting myiPod Touch to my computer in case iTunes deletes all my music.
Looking forward to finding some good advice and help from this Forum.
Peace and Positivity,
Tia :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I read your horror stories with iTunes and I agree it's a bit of a mine field. But there are plenty of great people here who can help you with your problem and advise you. To try to get a response more quickly, I'm moving your post to the Help section. I hope that's OK with you.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh Tia! I know how you're feeling. No wonder people hate itunes. I just realized it's too user-UNfriendly. I know Im not much help. Hang in there, Im still trying to fix mine also :)
Welcome btw!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The number of users whom have problems compared to the number of iPods, iPhones and iPads is so small it is not funny. There is a reason for the problem have you checked that when your iPad is connected that you have selected from the tabs the music you want the movies you want the apps you wants and pictures you want if not the iPad will end up with nothing synced

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's the photos I always have problems with, they either get duplicated, triplicated or disappear! I've read up what to do on here but I can't help thinking some things on iTunes synching doesn't always go to plan and I always backup, transfer and synch before any update can mess things up again!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
col.bris said:
Let me find a link that may help ok almost dinner time Sunday here

It's nearly lunchtime here!

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The first thing to do is take a backup of your itunes folder. On Windows 7 there will be a directory called Itunes in the Music library. On other versions of Windows you can search for the itunes directory which should be in your user folder.

Backup this directory to another computer or external drive as it should contain any music ripped from CD or bought using itunes.

After this you can sync with itunes knowing you can get your music back in an emergency. Check your backup to make sure it contains your music!

There are ways to copy the music from your ipod - CopyTrans is one option (costs $20 I think but the trial version will read 100 songs so you can test it). The free version will copy music to the ipod or iphone so you an avoid using itunes.

I keep everything that is synched to the ipad and ipods on another computer and I backup to external drives. ipods die (my 80GB did) and computer disks die (a friend used Yamipod to get his music from his ipod classic after his disk died (yamipod doesn't work with the touch or iphone)

OP
T

TiaMargia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Col,
I haven't attached my iPad to my computer yet because there is nothing in my iTunes library to synch. As I said in my OP re-installing iTunes wiped my music library clean.
Which has left me with all my music on my iPodTouch only.
There lies the problem.
From the horror stories I have read so far, I have gleaned the following unless I have mis-read.
1. You can't transfer and synch music from iPodTouch BACK to computer. It is only a one way process. Computer to iPodTouch.
2. If I connect my iPodTouch to my computer after re-installing iTunes it will wipe clean ALL my music on my iPod (the last thing I want to do as it took me ages to copy all my CD's to iPod).

So now my dilemma is how do I get my iPod music transferred to my new iPad2 if I can't populate iTunes in the first instance without the fear of losing all my music.

I need to research more before I do anything because I am a newbie to iPad2.

Any advice much appreciated.

Tia

Last edited:

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you sure you have lost the music? It may have created a new itunes directory. The original one may still be there. At least the music may be there and you can add it again. Check for a directory called "itunes music"

A program such as copytrans can copy music from your ipod touch. It does cost money (about $20) but it does work.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I must admit that would be all our horror stories, I have 12 or 13000 songs on mine and many GB's of film and tv so that would freak me out too! Do as the above says, it has to be somewhere obscure or even obvious but haven't thought of it yet. I've lost things where the grey exclamation comes up and then found that the external hard drive had been unplugged or it had gone to C/D drive and I hadn't known. Please get back to us because we need to know how this pans out.

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have a look at this tread , it will help you with the photo problem until Apple issues an update :

Apple iPad Forum » Apple iPad Discussions » iPad Help
HELP needed after update 4.3.3

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts