What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horror story with iTunes sync - please help

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yptcn said:
Have a look at this tread , it will help you with the photo problem until Apple issues an update :

Apple iPad Forum » Apple iPad Discussions » iPad Help
HELP needed after update 4.3.3

Thanks Yptcn

Sent from my iPad using iPF

col.bris said:
There are 3 rd party programs that can transfer music and addresses and pictures back to the computer I need to research it a bit

Thanks Col, will keep eye on what you find

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one option that I recommended to a client of mine I have not tried it however you can trial the software first. I am not associated in any way with the developer

TuneAid – Transfer your iPod Music to PC or Mac

Once you transfer the music then copy to iTunes store and resync the iPad make sure you back up the PC and iTunes files on to an external drive or thumb drive FIRST

Other programs also allow transfer of address books and Picts if your original drive has failed. It is so important to keep an external copy of your data at all times I backup weekly ok.

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. You can't transfer and synch music from iPodTouch BACK to computer. It is only a one way process. Computer to iPodTouch.
2. If I connect my iPodTouch to my computer after re-installing iTunes it will wipe clean ALL my music on my iPod (the last thing I want to do as it took me ages to copy all my CD's to iPod).

Those two together are one of Apple's biggest idiocies. And anyone buying a new computer faces them with no obvious solution unless they are technically competent to do it manually. What were they thinking of in not allowing you to choose the direction of syching depending on whether it's the iPad/Pod/Phone or the computer that is new?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
col.bris said:
I suspect this will change when they go to cloud sync which should be not far away

But with respect if you have a back up it is not a major issue

What will this cloud mean to us simple folk and will it cost me? 

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Same question Hayle. Simple folks , simple mind. You know what happened the first time I sync my ipad after restoring my itunes library?! it scattered all 300+ of my apps! And on top of that my ibooks doesnt work. well, that's a different thread. :eek:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
j0yful said:
Same question Hayle. Simple folks , simple mind. You know what happened the first time I sync my ipad after restoring my itunes library?! it scattered all 300+ of my apps! And on top of that my ibooks doesnt work. well, that's a different thread. :eek:

Computers hey, love or hate them!

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score

it means that having spent an hour or two downloading that 2Gb movie you can spend another few hours uploading it as well. But hey, why spend £60 on a 1Tb portable drive with high data transfer speeds when you can spend £60 a year to store 20Gb on Apple's iDisk with low data transfer speeds and be able to say cool things like "I store my data on the Cloud"?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TonyR said:
it means that having spent an hour or two downloading that 2Gb movie you can spend another few hours uploading it as well. But hey, why spend £60 on a 1Tb portable drive with high data transfer speeds when you can spend £60 a year to store 20Gb on Apple's iDisk with low data transfer speeds and be able to say cool things like "I store my data on the Cloud"?

lol. So funny. I think I'll stick with my external hard drive for now!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You get to fly. Lol. I will keep it as a surprise. But
Look up in the sky. Is it a bird na col. Bris showing off again.

Cloud sync is coming no details yet.

Wifi sync may happen as well but I suspect a big change in iTunes this year

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
col.bris said:

It's probably Col going to this shindig in USA for IPF members and family.

Yes, MacDailyNews is full of this. I hope it involves pc less synching that would perk me up. I have always wondered why we could download apps, music etc... Yes, I know, they have a 20mb( I think) limit on downloading but why! Way overdue if it is.

Oh, oh, I've just had an image of Col as a flying kangaroo.. Noooo! Hee hee!

OP
T

TiaMargia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Miket5au,
Thanks for advice, I will do a good search to see if I can find my music buried somewhere on my computer.
Today I made sure I changed my settings in iTunes to make sure my iPod doesn't automatically synch. But I have not had the courage to attach my iPod yet.
I've decided to purchase Copytrans after reading all the complimentary testimonials about the software programme. But I will try the free trial first before I buy.
It is irritating that Apple and iTunes do not provide a two-way transfer process especially as iPod and iPads aren't exactly cheap. If Copytrans can create a user-friendly programme for iPod to computer then why can't Apple do the same!!!
I purchased an external hard drive last year but haven't thought to use it with my iPod yet which I bought in Oct 2010. Now thanks to your advice you have reminded me to start backing up my iPod and new iPad immediately before anything else goes belly up.
Thanks again.
Tia :)

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Wifi sync sounds lovely!

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have always and will do the following, always save a copy of your last backup files. Trust me nothing gets lost. iTunes may look difficult to use but really it ain't.

Edit: Also never set your iTunes to autosync. This is where the biggest problem lies.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Most reactions