What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi! Newbie here...

xtrakool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I just joined this forum today after lurking around for a while, simply because I think apple rocks, ha ha.

Also, I just upgraded to os6 on my iPad and the App Store and YouTube icons simply disappeared. I'm hoping I an find the solution to this here as well as a whole lot more info!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

YouTube would have disappeared because as of iOS 6 it is no longer a part of the OS although I have no idea as to why the App Store should have gone.....a search on these forums may assist.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for both iOS 4 and 5.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

The YouTube app is no longer available on iOS 6. Apple has removed it on that software version so it no longer comes as a stock/default app.

A lot of people here have had success with the Google YouTube iPhone app (free - and upsizes fine on the iPad) or with the new app Jasmine (that only works on iOS 6). Maybe one of those will help...?

Marilyn

EDITED TO ADD: Dang - I am slow today! The Archangel is one step ahead...! :) Hate to waste my typing, so it stays. besides, the welcome is still meant. :)

OP
X

xtrakool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Ok, now I know about the YouTube app. As for the AppStore icon, I'm still having issues as it has truly disappeared. It's an ipad2 I'm using and the icon disappeared immediately after the upgrade to ios6. My searches here on the forum have all pointed to doing a full restore,so I'm currently backing up my apps to iTunes on my computer so that I can try that out. It's taking ages as I haves so many purchased apps that I haven't downloaded to iTunes. So hopefully let's see if the restore will make any difference. I just hope I won't regret this. If there are any other suggestions meanwhile, I'm open!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look in your Settings app. You may have restrictions turned on for the App Store.

So, go to Settings > General > Restrictions and make sure that you have allowed (the switch in ON) both Installing Apps and Deleting Apps. At least, on my iOS 5.1.1-running iPad, if those two lines are "OFF," my App Store icon disappears.

So, maybe that's it...?

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another choice for an app that plays YouTube videos is YouPlayer, it has both a free version and a paid premium version in the App Store. One thing I've noticed about YouPlayer is that it will play videos on the iPad that normally don't play on mobile devices. Like Jasmine, YouPlayer also requires iOS 6.

OP
X

xtrakool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unbelievable, Scifan57. I love you! You've saved me from an unnecessary restore session! My AppStore is back after turning the restrictions on! At least I've backed up my iPad anyway, so wasn't a totally lost effort....my first real iPad issue and its solved! Wow! Is there a like button anywhere? I will click it a hundred times, ha ha!

OP
X

xtrakool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry that was meant for Mickey the supermod, lol. scifan still rocks too tho. I'm yet to get the hang of the forum app and can't see threads while typing replies....sorry!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
xtrakool said:
Sorry that was meant for Mickey the supermod, lol. scifan still rocks too tho. I'm yet to get the hang of the forum app and can't see threads while typing replies....sorry!

That's where another iDevice can come in handy.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hurray! Glad to hear it was something relatively simple. And, glad we saved you all that work. Oh, and a little plug: backups are ALWAYS a good thing to have and to do regularly. :) Have fun with your iPad.

And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts