What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi Everyone!! Happy Holidays,,new here

Triciarose63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a ipad mini 3 had it for over a year... now its driving me crazy... It was working fine.. within the last couple of months I have not been able to turn the thing off...I have to use that assistive button and all that does it put it to sleep..and my battery drains fast.. the on/off button does not work for whatever reason.. and I cant turn it on unless I plug in the charger...and when its on..and I am looking at a video..the screen changes.. and the slider on/off button appears out of no where.... what in the world is wrong?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a faulty power button. Are there are there any dents or other deformaties near the power button?

We've seen similar issues with volume buttons and minor casing damage in the past. Some careful un-bending has been known to fix volume button problems, but the power button is better protected. That makes it less likely to be the cause, and probably harder to fix without a visit to a repair center.

OP
Triciarose63

Triciarose63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ,,,there are no dents on my ipad... i did drop it a couple of times ..maybe that did it... but after it dropped everything is still working... this just started about a month ago... so I guess I'll just put up with it till I'm able to fix it... thanks!!

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are there any dents near the power button? If not, is it possible that something sticky may have wound up there? Try placing some isopropyl or rubbing alcohol around the power button with a Q tip and see if anything changes. Repeat a few times if no change.

In regards to the battery drain, check your screen brightness. If it is on max, that will drain your battery quicker than usual.

OP
Triciarose63

Triciarose63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Will try when I get home!! And I turn down the brightness when i am not using the thing....i also did a reset..took everything off and started new... still acts the same..

OP
Triciarose63

Triciarose63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh well ..the alcohol did not work ... i didnt want to overdo it..plus in order to turn on my ipad i have to use the charger...sigh..thought i was going to get out of paying 100 to get it fixed lol

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Tricia...
Have you checked the battery use per app?
You may find one that is draining your battery.
Tap Settings then Battery, look under Battery usage for the % used per app.
You can also see the % used over the previous 7 days.

OP
Triciarose63

Triciarose63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
facebook is using 54% and fb messenger is using 35% .. i have to turn the thing on with the charger...

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Tricia... I guess those figures are only high if in fact you are not using FB almost full time.
I would have thought that having to use the charger connected, to start the iPad points to a dud (not just flat) battery.
I guess that means a visit to a service centre. One way or other a visit there will produce a result.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When checking battery usage, tap on the clock icon at the top of the list. This will break down the usage to on-screen time vs background time, in actual time instead of relative percentages.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T Poet.
In my case it shows the time I waste looking at the screen!

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys does her I product not have Assistive Touch sorry l am not familiar with it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi guys does her I product not have Assistive Touch sorry l am not familiar with it.

I'm sure it does, but Assistive Touch can't be used to wake or turn the the iPad on. Only the hardware buttons can do that, and it sounds like both her Home and Power buttons are problematic.

Most reactions

Latest posts