What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with New Ipad Air

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting an iPad Air. I have an iPad mini which I will be keeping.

Is there a simple way I can put the same settings, apps, bookmarks, etc. on the Air using my Mini? I just don't want to risk losing everything I already have set up on my mini.

Many thanks.

Kadee

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am getting an iPad Air. I have an iPad mini which I will be keeping. Is there a simple way I can put the same settings, apps, bookmarks, etc. on the Air using my Mini? I just don't want to risk losing everything I already have set up on my mini. Many thanks. Kadee
Backup your iPad mini (iCloud or iTunes), and when activating your new device, restore it from that backup. That will transfer all the apps, settings, ... to it. It will be the "twin" of your mini.

This may help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Doing that myself, right now; the iCloud version.

You end up entering your iCloud and/or Apple ID a lot. Initial restore is fairly quick, 30 to 40 minutes. However the apps and files can take much longer, hours, depending on how much you have to restore and how fast your wi-fi connection is. Don't' try it until you are on a reasonably fast and reliable wi-fi connection.

I prefer the iCloud method because it involves fewer steps to get everything back; but it does take a lot longer. People who use iTunes often expect it to be one step, but it isn't. You have to do a restore to get your settings back, and then sync to get the content back. If you are wise you also go through all the sync settings before the that first sync.

Either way, set aside a large block of time, and don't rush though the dialogs without reading what they say.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally ordered your new device? :)
Edit: just now saw the post in the "What are you..." thread.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep.

Going through all the apps now, and making sure that the data got transferred, and I can log into all those apps that need logging into. That's my post restore advice for those moving to a new device. Do it before you erase/restore the old device.

This thing sure is responsive, compared to my iPad 3. Not that the iPad 3 was a slouch.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thing sure is responsive, compared to my iPad 3. Not that the iPad 3 was a slouch.
I know. I couldn't resist. Sold my iPad 3 and got a white Air. :O
It's a great device.

And to get back on topic: I restored through iCloud, without problems, but it needed a few hours to download music and apps.

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I upgraded from an ipad 3 also and find it pretty much the Ipad I had hoped for since I learned you could do more than 'consume' with the iPad one. I passed the 3 to my husband who was still using his One. So he's a happy camper too. Restored both from iCLoud. I don't remember how long it took but i do remember it wasn't as long as i expected, esp. for mine since I have a lot of data, lots of apps but I do have a very fast wifi connection.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I restored my iPad 3 to my Mom's account using iTunes; no iCloud backup available because the old iPad 1 had an accident before iCloud backups were a thing. This also went smoothly. It no longer requires two manual steps. As long as you don't interrupt it (and the dialog warns you not to), it continues with app installs after the restore and reboot.

There isn't a whole lot on Mom's iPad, so the restore went quickly. Then I had to go through and make 'best guesses' on how she would like it set up, add some books, a couple game apps, and lock down stuff that might come back to haunt me later.

I hope to give it to her tomorrow.

So, as far as I can see Apple has done a pretty good job of cleaning up and simplifying the restore process from both iCloud and iTunes. The main thing is to have a good wi-fi connection (if using iCloud) and be patient enough not to interrupt things part way through.

If I was feeling cautions (and I often am), I would make sure I have a current back up in both iCloud and iTunes. That way if one fails, you can start over with the other. And I've said it before, but don't restore or get rid of the original iPad until you are sure everything on the new one is perfect. As long as the old one still works, you can always start over from scratch.

Also, if you are going to sell or give away the Mini, don't forget to restore it first. If you don't turn off 'Find My iPad' and restore it, then the next person can't set it up for their own account. iOS 7's anti-theft features will lock the iPad if they try.

OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backup your iPad mini (iCloud or iTunes), and when activating your new device, restore it from that backup. That will transfer all the apps, settings, ... to it. It will be the "twin" of your mini.

This may help: Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

Thank you so much. I just now got it delivered. Unfortunately, iTunes does not recognize my
Air, so I will backup with iCloud. Any idea why it won't recognize my new Air?

Many thanks!

OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! Glad it is working for you. Any idea why iTunes is not recognizing my mini ipad nor the Air? It has always worked for me.
If I need to update my drivers for iTunes, how can I do that? Maybe this is not the place to ask.

Thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you have the most current version of iTunes on the computer. Older versions won't recognize devices that are newer than that version, usually. You can find the most current version on Apple's site in the iTunes tab.

Be prepared for a few changes if you have not updated iTunes recently. They moved a few things around and added a couple others.

Good luck.

OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it did recognize the Air, but still not my mini. Could this be a settings problem? I am clueless at this point.

Thanks.

OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you have the most current version of iTunes on the computer. Older versions won't recognize devices that are newer than that version, usually. You can find the most current version on Apple's site in the iTunes tab.

Be prepared for a few changes if you have not updated iTunes recently. They moved a few things around and added a couple others.

Good luck.

Yes, everything is current. Baffling!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, everything is current. Baffling!

So, first it would not recognize the Air, and now it doesn't recognize the Mini?

Other than what Johanna suggested I don't have any ideas; well, other than just using The iCloud backup and restore options.

Most reactions

Latest posts