What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help: Random Black/White Logo Screens Interfering With Everything

ThNorth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my 4th Gen iPad to iOS 8.3, and since then it has been afflicted by random white or black logo screens that can happen at any moment in any application. One sees the progress bar move for a few seconds, it gets about half way, and then permits me to return to work, but never for long before it hits again.

I have restored my device (from a local back up) three times with no effect, and rebooting/reseting the device tells me to "Slide to upgrade," but the problem persists.

I have even done a total wipe of my iPad, resetting it to factory conditions, and played with it for a while to see if I could repeat the problem, but could not. Once I restore my backup data, the problem reoccurs.

This tells me the problem is with the iOS 8.3 upgrade, though I have been able to find someone with an answer yet on these forums. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This thing is dead in the water for the moment!

iPad (4th Generation)
iOS 8.3 (12f69)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the problem is absent if you restore without a backup and returns when you restore from your backup, that indicates the problem is in your backup, not the update to iOS 8.3. If your backup has been corrupted, you'll have to set up your iPad as a new iPad and manually download as much of the data that was on your backup as possible.

Here's a way to prove whether or not the problem is in the backup file or not. If you have another iPad, back it up and restore it with the backup from your iPad 4. If the other iPad exhibits the same problem it proves that the problem lies in the backup, not the update.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like Scifan said, if it's not there before you restore the backup, then the issue is hiding in the backup.

Before you do anything drastic, try Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

Backups store your iPad's settings, and every once in a while some settings does not convert properly during the update, causing weird issues. This may fix it. Nothing is deleted by Reset All Settings, but you will have to re-tweak many of your other settings.

If that does not work, I'd like a more detailed description of the issue. I'm not sure what you are talking about when you mention black logos and progress bars.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he means the Apple logo and progress bar that you normally see when an iOS update is being installed.

Most reactions

Latest posts