What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help....old computer died

nate1224hoops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys my old computer just died. I can't get it to boot up. So I can't access all my stuff for my ipad2.

I guess I will be using my wife's computer. We both have ipad2's, but with different iTunes accounts. Can someone please tell me how to set up iTunes so that we can share the same computer withount my pad getting all her doctor crap and her iPad getting all of my us history stuff.

Also what do I do about not being able to access my stuff from iTunes on my old computer? Any suggestions?

Nate

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not positive about two iPads on one iTunes account, at least not a pain-free and not time-consuming way. As for the dead computer, you can pull the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and use it as an external. If the computer is a desk top, it will be pretty easy. If a laptop, a bit more difficult. You should then be able to transfer your iTunes stuff to your wife's computer. If the wife's computer is a Mac it should read any file on the drive. I had a laptop die. Pulled the hard drive and was able to get all my wife's photos off and onto hey iMac.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The easiest way to set up two iPads with different accounts on the same computer is to set up two login's for the computer; one for here and one for you. This will keep the two iTunes libraries separate.

To connect your iPad to the new computer, and avoid losing stuff you already have on it, follow the instructions I'll tack onto the bottom of the post.

Getting anything that is still on the old computer, but not on the iPad can be tricky. It depends on whether the hard drive can be accessed. You would be best off taking it to someone local who can try and recover your data. Once they do, you can try importing it into iTunes again.

For most of the stuff you've purchased from iTunes, you only need to visit the Purchased section in the iTunes Store and re-download it. Music, most TV shows, iBooks, and Apps can all be recovered this way. Movies and music videos can not.

Good Luck.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Here is Apple's recommendations on how to transfer all your stuff to a new iPhone. With a few modifications it works very well for moving your iPad to a new computer. Wish I could find one as well written for the actual task.

How to back up your data and set up as a new device

Start by going into iTunes Preferences (before connecting the iPad) and turning off auto-sync. It is under the Devices tab. This will prevent any unwanted syncing before you are ready.

Do only the parts that apply to your information/situation (i.e.; if you are syncing contacts with Google, don't do the Personal Information Manager part. Stop when you get to the Restore step.

It would be wise, after the Transfer Purchases option to go through iTunes and make sure everything (media, app, book) got transferred. If not you may have a few more steps to insure all your stuff gets safely backed up on the computer.

NOTE: If you have picture albums in the Photos app, and they are not backed up somewhere other than the iPad, you need to save them first before doing anything else. The first sync will remove them. The PhotoSync app works well for this, and you can use it before starting any of the other procedures.

The quality of the pictures recovered this way will probably not match the originals. iTunes optimizes photos for viewing on the iPad when it syncs them.

Most reactions

Latest posts