What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help !! How to sync folders

sugata_datta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help me !!! I have a number of .doc, .xls and .ppt files in various folders in my pc .. I want to sync the folders with my IPad2. At present, I find that only FILES can be synced, NOT folders. Its too much of a pain to sync files as it creates long unwieldy lists of files. If I could sync folders, then they would be much more organised..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader can sync entire folders.

Though my real recommendation is to get a DropBox account and the install the app on both your iPad and computer. Then you can drop the entire folder into the synced folder on your computer, and not too long after it will be available via the DropBox app on the iPad. Favorite files can be stared, so that they are always available.

GoodReader can also access DropBox, and upload/download entire folders to it, if that is what you decide you need. GoodReader will view, but not edit, most of the files you've mentioned.

Many of the better Office compatible apps also offer direct access to DropBox, making them ideal way to interact with your files via DropBox.

You might be getting the idea I'm pushing DropBox here, and I suppose I am; but it's one of the most popular services on the forum, and useful for many things. And GoodReader is probably only a few posts less popular.

Here are some links to reviews of the Office apps I mentioned, just in case that was you next question. Pages, if you are curious, does not work directly with DropBox, but there are workarounds.

Compare iWorks, Office 2 HD, Documents to Go, QuickOffice by richsdams
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Office Apps Comparison by RedCoil (details and examples, very long)
http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

About QuickOffice, mostly about spreadsheets
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/55182-just-purchased-quick-office-hd.html

OP
S

sugata_datta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many tks for your reply. I have, indeed, started using Dropbox. However, I find the following problems while using dropbox on the IPad2: 1. If I am not connected to internet, the Dropbox files cannot be accessed. 2. The solution to this would be if I could SAVE the folders / files in the IPad and while syncing the folders from my PC, if I could sync the files / folders in the saved files, rather than in the Dropbox. Yes, I know that I can save the files by marking them "favorites' but that would entail marking so many files (I have over 300 files in the dropbox) one by one, each time I sync them with my PC. Moreover, I cant mark a folder as a Favotite - only files. Any solutions ? Would be grateful...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
sugata_datta said:
Many tks for your reply. I have, indeed, started using Dropbox. However, I find the following problems while using dropbox on the IPad2: 1. If I am not connected to internet, the Dropbox files cannot be accessed. 2. The solution to this would be if I could SAVE the folders / files in the IPad and while syncing the folders from my PC, if I could sync the files / folders in the saved files, rather than in the Dropbox. Yes, I know that I can save the files by marking them "favorites' but that would entail marking so many files (I have over 300 files in the dropbox) one by one, each time I sync them with my PC. Moreover, I cant mark a folder as a Favotite - only files. Any solutions ? Would be grateful...

GoodReader can be used to download and store files on the iPad. It is best for reading and annotating PDFs, but It will view many other formats. It will even connect to DropBox and download entire.

Even if you decide you don't want to use GoodReader this way, it is a very handy app to have around. It has a veritable Swiss army knife of features.

The other option is to get a specialized app for each type of file you want to work with. Many of them have both local storage and DropBox access. One of the office compatible suites like Documents to Go or QuickOffice would be overkill for view only, but should work the way you want file wise.

Last edited:
OP
S

sugata_datta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to know how to attach multiple files to emails. Also can u tell me how to copy files from Pages to Dropbox ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it's pictures, just use the Photos app. You can attach up to five pictures to an email in Photos.

Doing multiple attachments of different file types is difficult. If you use Open In or another method to copy them all to GoodReader, you can send multiple attachments that way. Most of the time I recommend uploading the files to a cloud service like DropBox or Box.com and then emailing the share links instead. Not only is it easier to to on the iPad, but it makes for faster email and the convenience of choosing when to download on the receiver's side.

There are a couple of services that will give you WebDAV access to DropBox. DropDAV is nice, but has a monthly fee. SMEStorage is another, and while it isn't as neat a solution as DropDAV you can use it for free. The iSMEStorage app costs $4.99. It's not required, but I think it is worth it. You can find several (more complete) posts in the forum on SMEStorage; just use the custom Google search at the top of the website.

I also like to use Box.com. It has WebDAV, but not the computer syncing of DropBox. Between it, DropBox, and iSMEStorage I can do most of my file sharing directly from the iPad.

OP
S

sugata_datta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. How do I upload files from Pages to Dropbox? I find that only certain types of files, like photos, etc can be uploaded to Dropbox. But I would like to upload files made thru Pages or Numbers to Dropbox. How do I do that ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iWorks apps have a WebDAV option when importing and exporting files. The last half of my previous post was dedicated to getting DropBox to work with WebDAV, which will also let you use it with Pages (indirectly).

You can select and import/export Pages files from the Documents page

PagesWebDAV.jpg

or you can export them using the wrench icon when the document is open.

You'll find all the info you need on the SMEStorage's site, or if you can ask and I'll help some more: But you really should read and understand their service, so that you can get the most out of it.

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! Does anyone know why my photos and videos all show up upside down when I email them? They are correct before I send, but come in upside down when I receive. I am having the same issue with my iPhone. Cannot figure out if it is a setting or what? Thanks for the help!
Julie

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad adds info into the photo that turns photos right side up, even if you took them holding the iPad upside down. Not all photo readers on other platforms understand this. The easiest thing to do is to make sure you hole the iPad (or iPhone) correctly; (with the camera on the top edge) when taking the photos.

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The iPad adds info into the photo that turns photos right side up, even if you took them holding the iPad upside down. Not all photo readers on other platforms understand this. The easiest thing to do is to make sure you hole the iPad (or iPhone) correctly; (with the camera on the top edge) when taking the photos.

Thanks, Twerppoet, I'll keep that in mind. The weird thing is that I emailed the same photos I took this morning and they showed up correctly! Somehow it righted itself. I have another photo question, though. I took a video with my iPhone and iPad and tried to email it. It said the file is too large (it was about 4 minutes), so it truncated it pretty short. It seems odd that you can't email a 4 minute video? I tried to convert it into a Zip file in GoodReader and then email it, but it wouldn't work either. So, how does one email a video of that length? Are we really limited to only shooting a really short video? I also have Dropbox, but it doesn't give me an option to use that. My goal is to upload videos to our company website (I work at a newspaper). But it seems really cumbersome. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance-- I always get great advice from you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a limit on email sizes. I don't run into it often, so I'm not familiar with the exact file size limit, but even a 4 minute video can be pretty big.

You could try iCab Mobile (a third party browser) with your company site. It might be able to upload directly to the site.

Or you could use GoodReader to email the video. I seem to remember someone saying that GoodReader bypassed the iPhone/iPad's limitations. Of course your email provider might still block it. Some have limits on email size. You can also use GoodReader to upload photos and videos to DropBox. It is a lot more versatile than the DropBox app.

If you use iMovie you can message the video clip a bit (if needed) then upload it to YouTube, FaceBook, Vemeo, or CNNiReport, if you or your company use any of those services.

Most reactions

Latest posts