Help! Holiday dilemma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by Pinga1964, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Pinga1964

Pinga1964 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone, in need of some advice. I am going on holiday to Lapland and thinking of taking my ipad, but not sure how it will cope in the cold weather.

Anyone got any advice of do's or don't s. I also have iPhone and my son has iPod - should I leave these at home?

Awaiting your replies in readiness.

Many thanks

Pinga x

2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 1
    Well, the touch screen doesn't work without special gloves. It's also been reported to be somewhat unresponsive with cold hands, for some people. ;)

The iPad's (and iPhone's) operating range is from 0 to 32C. If it is that cold out you'll probably on be able to use it for a few minutes at a time before stuffing it back into a pocket or under your coat. It won't hurt it to be colder. The non-operating range goes down to -20C.

Other than that, if you let it get really cold, keep an eye on condensate when brining it back inside and let it warm up a bit before using.

Apple - iPad - View all the technical specifications.

3. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    Pay particular attention to Twerppoet's distinctions here on the differences between operating temperatures and storage temperatures. Don't turn it on outside the operating range, and if you want to use the camera, do it fast. Wouldn't hurt to keep your devices in leather cases or neoprene slip covers.

I keep my iPad 2 in my vehicle while I'm subjected to temperatures that make moose run for cover. I have found that I can still use the screen when my hands are numb. I would recommend, however, winter gloves and a stylus. Thinking about it, I had my iPhone hanging from my belt in it's Otterbox last weekend while I walked about 3 blocks, and it doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects. The temperature was around -25°C.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 1
    The specs are always conservative, but that's just a better reason to abide by them, and leave yourself some room to err. ;)