What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help a n00b

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, I've been reading this forum and google for two hours, and can honestly say I haven't come across what I needed. Plz help me.

I want to a) unlock my ipad, and b) jailbreak it.

It's an iPad 1, 64 gb 3G + WiFi. I know I want untethered jailbreak, I know I need an unlock so I can use it with local 3G carriers. I also know I want the latest untethered jailbreakable iOS.

I have a PC.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I'm sure that some of our iPad Forum jail breakers will be able to help you with your queries; there's lots of information in the Jail breaking section of the Forum to help you to jail break your iPad.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, I've been reading this forum and google for two hours, and can honestly say I haven't come across what I needed. Plz help me.

It's an iPad 1, 64 gb 3G + WiFi. I know I want untethered jailbreak, I know I need an unlock so I can use it with local 3G carriers. I also know I want the latest untethered jailbreakable iOS.

I have a PC.

All iPad 3G devices are sold SIM UNLOCKED, so unlike an iPhone there is no problem using any SIM, provided that the carrier will allow data. You will need to find out the data connection settings and put them into the carrier settings unsing the iPad settings app (under Callular Data > APN Settings).

As for a jailbreak, 4.2.1 is the last untethered version available, however if you do not have SHSH blobs saved for 4.2.1 (which is unlikely if you have never jail broken before, or this is a new iPad), then you are SOL.

Google for tiny umbrella and download it. This will save your SHSH blobs on your PC for all version of IOS to which you are entitled. Every version of IOS which comes up when you use this program can be installed on your iPad. I suspect it will say 4.3 only, but you may be "lucky" if you have a refurb which someone previously jailbroke.

Let us know what version of IOS you are on and what the results of TU are and we'll see if we can help further...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have a PC.

All iPad 3G devices are sold SIM UNLOCKED, so unlike an iPhone there is no problem using any SIM, provided that the carrier will allow data. You will need to find out the data connection settings and put them into the carrier settings unsing the iPad settings app (under Callular Data > APN Settings).

As for a jailbreak, 4.2.1 is the last untethered version available, however if you do not have SHSH blobs saved for 4.2.1 (which is unlikely if you have never jail broken before, or this is a new iPad), then you are SOL.

Google for tiny umbrella and download it. This will save your SHSH blobs on your PC for all version of IOS to which you are entitled. Every version of IOS which comes up when you use this program can be installed on your iPad. I suspect it will say 4.3 only, but you may be "lucky" if you have a refurb which someone previously jailbroke.

Let us know what version of IOS you are on and what the results of TU are and we'll see if we can help further...

I love learning from you.

Just sayin'

OP
gray_mouse

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, I have 2questions.

A. What if I stick version 4.3 from iTunes?

B. What's the latest tethered version I can install?

C. If I go with 3.2 what will I lack?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, I have 2questions.

A. What if I stick version 4.3 from iTunes?

B. What's the latest tethered version I can install?

C. If I go with 3.2 what will I lack?

A) u will have the latest iOS version and can wait patiently until untethered version is released as tethered method sux, IMO. Also Apple plans to release 4.3.1 anyway now.

B) I believe a tethered version for 4.3 has finally been released. Not exactly sure. If u have windows, u will need Snowbreeze. If u have Mac, u will need Pwnage tool. IOS 4.2.1 is the last untethered jail brake version out so far. Like I'm still on. Found no real reason to upgrade to 4.3 as apple will release 4.3.1 anyway now, so jail braking 4.3 is pretty much pointless if u plan on upgrading to 4.3.1.

C) well u would be lacking basically everything new..lmao for example, multitasking, folders, airplay, AirPrint, safari nitro java speed increases, more secure iOS, option to put hardware lock switch to mute, if u choose and the list goes on n on ;-)

OP
gray_mouse

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So there is no way to install this file onto my iPad iPad1,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw ?

Heh

Fine, then what's best?

a) do jailbreak on my 3.2.1

or

b) upgrade to 4.3 and do tethered jailbreak

Either way I'll be doing 4.3.1 when it comes out untethered jailbreak..

Exactly what am I missing if my jailbreak is tethered? Just have to have a PC if I ever turn it off?

Most reactions