What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello!

labomba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I held out buying an iPad originally as I thought I had no need for one, this changed when I tried one out at the Apple Store where I live! However, I couldn't help feeling that the iPad 2 might introduce a few things extra, so instead I waited and bought an iPhone 4 when it came out. I followed the iPad 2 keynote this week, and while I do think that it is great, I don't like the back of it very much, I much preferred the original iPad's look. Also the lack of a retina display on the iPad 2 disappointed me. So I went on the Apple online store the day after the announcement, and lo and behold, the original iPad was reduced by £100, even better, they had refurbished ones which reduced by another £50 or so, so I decided to take the plunge, and I ordered a 32GB one on thursday night, unfortunately it wont be here till monday as apparently UPS dont deliver on saturdays! Anyway I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good cases as I am looking for something to protect it. I might also buy a Zagg Invisible shield as I have one for my iphone 4 and it has been very good at protecting it. Also, if anyone has any experience with refurb iPads, if theyhave any problems?
Thanks! sorry if it's dragged on a bit!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum.

Refurbs bought directly from Apple have an excellent reputation, and you get the full warrantee, so you should be set.

I use my older bluetooth keyboard for my iPad, on the rare occasions I feel a need for one. It's one of the small ones currently sold with iMacs, and the same that shows up as accessories for the iPad.

The original Apple case has served me well enough that I've never felt the need to replace it, though I've occasionally been tempted by some of the more bizarre stands/cases.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, too, that the Apple case is an excellent choice. It's a real tight fit and adds little to the weight or size of the iPad. It has what at first are annoying/uncomfortable 'seams' around the edge but several Forum members have reported how this seam has acted as a very effective 'shock absorber' when they accidentally dropped their iPad.

There's a discussion of the various iPad cases in this thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/20329-ipad-case-do-you-have-rate-out-10-a.html

I've seen a couple of the refurbished iPads and they're cosmetically absolutely perfect. There have been reports in the Forum that some unscrupulous dealers have been passing these refurbished units off as new - so that shows how good they must be! And, as twerppoet remarks, you get the full Apple warranty, so there's no need to worry on that score.

A good choice.

Tim
Scotland

OP
L

labomba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Also what do you think of Apples own dock and dock keyboard? Do you think apple will reduce the price on it now when they bring out the iPad 2 next week?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I (stupidly, with the benefit of hindsight) bought the dock keyboard. Never use it - why? Because you have to remove the iPad from the case before it will fit in the dock and, as I've mentioned, the iPad is a real tight fit in its Apple case, so it's not so easy just to 'slip it in and out' of the case.

My advice would be to use a Bluetooth keyboard - I use the iGo Stowaway folding keyboard, which in no longer available, but there are several other folding and non-folding keyboards on the market. I 'touch type', so the iPad's on-screen keyboard is OK for small documents but, when you really want to get down to some serious typing, you need 'physical' keys with tactile feedback. So, if you do go for a BT keyboard, I'd at least advise one with mechanical (i.e. not membrane) keys.

Hope you enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts