What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from a new apple user

karuzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Doron and I'm probably joining the apple 'world'. I'm pre-ordered the iPad and never had an iphone before. To be honest, I own an Android phone that I like but I don't think it is mature enough (or at least yet). What I like about Android is the complete syncing with Google. However, I need something that will provide me with better applications, even tough slowly more apps show up for Android. Two things I like about the iphone is the smoothness of the system and the quality control over apps. With Android, you get too many crappy apps and sometimes they are even malware.
Anyway - back to the point of this post - as a new user I'm not familiar with how things work especially itunes and mobile me and have several questions. I DID search for answers but found nothing that satisfied me. SO here is a list of questions I hope you can assist and make my transition easier (questions are base don iphone, but assuming same case for ipad):

1 - what happens when you have to switch to a new computer? Someone told me you can switch up to 5 computers and you need to de-authorize? Are yous tuck after 5 computers, although logically you will probably move to a newer model of iphone by then?
2 - moving to a newer device, can you transfer the purchased apps?
3 - can you backup the apps, in case of computer crash?
4 - is mobileme necessary? I have not found a justified reason to purchase it?
5 - Anyone knows specifically on ipad if google can sync contacts, mail, and calendar? This is specifically for the wifi-only model.

Thanks for any help.
Doron

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome.

1 You can have up to 5 computers on one iTunes account. When you need to add a new computer the easiest thing to do is de-authorize the old one before adding the new. If you forget, there is a way to do it online.

2 Yes. I have apps on my current iPhone that I purchased with my first iPhone. In fact, you can install an app on any device synced with that Mac/PC. So when the iPad arrives, I already own a bunch of apps that I can use on it.

3. Everything on my iPhone is backed up every time I sync with iTunes. I assume it will be the same on the iPad. I can also re-download any app I have purchased for free.

4. No mobileme is not required. It is nice if you use the features it offers. IMHO, most people don't need it.

5. Don't know about this one.

Hope this helps ;).

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Doron and I'm probably joining the apple 'world'.

5 - Anyone knows specifically on ipad if google can sync contacts, mail, and calendar? This is specifically for the wifi-only model.

Thanks for any help.
Doron

I have active sync of Google Contacts, Gmail, and Google's calendar on the iPhone so I assume these will work in the same manner with the iPad.

Active snc means I can change the data in either location, mobile device or desktop, and the change appears within seconds in the other location via Google PUSH. I really like this but it took a few extra minutes to set up and make it work correctly. There was a little reading involved at Google's website for step by step instructions.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome Doron...I'm somewhat new to apple-world myself. Since the purchase of my Gen1 iTouch a couple of years ago, I've realised it's inevitable! (grin). Only a matter of time before all my devices are apple.

Big karma & Be Ez

Most reactions

Latest posts