What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all

gasmarc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have got myself an ipad 2 and my daughter thinks it is better that the macbook pro . I got the ipad for work as i repair stuff and can download manuals etc on the go. I have gone to the apple shop and they have told me there is no problem tethering from my iphone to the ipad . But apparently o2 say I cannot do this , I am on an unlimited data plan and dont want to jailbreak anything if possible

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm the same as you, engineer who needs access to manuals, most. Carry in memory using pdf book.

but it's that odd bit of kit.

On T-Mobile unlimited, I've tried to liwk via WiFi to iPad as hotspot, but.it don't see my iPhone 4 , yet iPhone plugged into laptop then iPhone shoes 'one hotspot connection'.

Has been mention of added costs from provider for' tethering', if that is so I'll get a WiFi/GSM router, and stick my phone SIM in it ;).

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

Both Apple and O2 are right(!) as the service provider can offer tethering through the iPhone but O2 are right if they don't want to (as an O2 customer I would be disappointed if this is the case but hey ho!). If you are not tied into a long term contract with O2 you could look at changing service providers to someone who does allow tethering.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. A link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

gasmarc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the manuals on my iphone but it is a pain in the neck to use size wise so bought a wifi 3g ipad , Which i hope I can tether as I have unlimited data tariff which according to O2 they are not doing anymore , but according to them I cannot tether my iphone to the ipad , which is a pain in the neck

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gasmarc said:
I have the manuals on my iphone but it is a pain in the neck to use size wise so bought a wifi 3g ipad , Which i hope I can tether as I have unlimited data tariff which according to O2 they are not doing anymore , but according to them I cannot tether my iphone to the ipad , which is a pain in the neck

Something I'm reluctant to do, personally but perhaps investigate jail breaking both devices may be an option?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gasmarc said:

They are wrong, you can tether an iPad to an iPhone. They choose not to allow it.

The Archangel

OP
G

gasmarc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many Thanks Archangel , I have contacted O2 and they said I cannot tether an iphone to the ipad as they were going to give me a bolt on for an extra £2 permonth as I am currently on
unlimited data plan, so fingers crossed I will suss it out

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gasmarc said:
Many Thanks Archangel , I have contacted O2 and they said I cannot tether an iphone to the ipad as they were going to give me a bolt on for an extra £2 permonth as I am currently on
unlimited data plan, so fingers crossed I will suss it out

They really are talking rubbish, tethering on the iPhone is mentioned all over their website, in fact, I'm about to upgrade and I was just looking at the right tariff and bolt-ons that I need and it clearly states "tethering included".

BTW, 3 have a genuine all you can eat plan, no fair use policy or anything, so you may want to look there also.

The Archangel

OP
G

gasmarc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am tied into O2 until january when I am due an upgrade to the next iphone but am quiet happy with the 3GS which I have at present , I have unlimited data so am going to be annoyed if i cannot avail of it to be honest. I looked at the O2 site so it is clearly do able

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gasmarc said:
I am tied into O2 until january when I am due an upgrade to the next iphone but am quiet happy with the 3GS which I have at present , I have unlimited data so am going to be annoyed if i cannot avail of it to be honest. I looked at the O2 site so it is clearly do able

Be careful, O2 are a stingy lot, when I became eligible for an upgrade, and as a loyalty offer to a customer of many, many years, they offered me nothing, no discount at all against a new customer, nothing, nada, nowt! So if you have good coverage for 3 then you may be better off showing O2 the same loyalty that they show you.

The Archangel

OP
G

gasmarc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes good point I might look into that and give them a call today and give them an ear full lol but before i do that I want to be 100 % certain I cannot avail of my existing plan

OP
G

gasmarc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well I rang O2 today and was informed that my tariff cannot have a bolt on for tethering to the ipad and that I would have to change my tariff as it is unlimited data :pwhich i dont know yet what to do. Any suggestions welcome

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gasmarc said:
well I rang O2 today and was informed that my tariff cannot have a bolt on for tethering to the ipad and that I would have to change my tariff as it is unlimited data :pwhich i dont know yet what to do. Any suggestions welcome

My view would be keep your current plan if unlimited. If you can afford it then buy a new phone outright and swap the sim, otherwise maybe think about switching to 3’s all you can eat data plan. O2 are unrealistic if they will only allow tethering with " limited" data plans. They are doing their damnedest to clear out all of the old unlimited data plans, they sold them to us but don't really want to honour them, it's a shame because apart from that I really like their service.

The Archangel

OP
G

gasmarc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
My view would be keep your current plan if unlimited. If you can afford it then buy a new phone outright and swap the sim, otherwise maybe think about switching to 3’s all you can eat data plan. O2 are unrealistic if they will only allow tethering with " limited" data plans. They are doing their damnedest to clear out all of the old unlimited data plans, they sold them to us but don't really want to honour them, it's a shame because apart from that I really like their service.

The Archangel

Well I have gone for a 30 day plan for a £10 which I can live with to get me started . But will have a serious think when my up grade is due in january

Most reactions

Latest posts