AT&T data plan mixup

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by Godrulsus, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Godrulsus

Godrulsus iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently tried to add an additional iPad 2 to my existing unlimited data plan. Before purchasing my third iPad for family I had called AT&T and asked if that was possible and was told that wouldn't be a problem. Can't believe what you are told on phone from AT&T. Now they tell me I can transfer plan but not add new iPad. What a rip off.
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    There have been a number of members with the same 'issue'. The problem seems to be that, if AT&T allowed you to add further iPads to an existing data plan they are likely to see an increased usage - even if your plan has a limit. This is one of the reasons why they charge additional for tethered accounts.

They have done their research well. If, say, you have a 2 GB account - that allows you to use up to, but not more than, 2 GB per month, their statistics have told them that, on average, a user does not consume all of that allowance. But if they allow additional users - or a tethered account - they have found that, again, on average, users consume a greater proportion of their monthly allowance.

You may rightly feel that, if you've paid for 2 GB you should be allowed to use it anyway you want to. But it's a very competitive business and AT&T have factored the average usage into their costings and can afford to give you a competitive price because they know that, on average, users will not consume all their allowance.

I agree, it doesn't seem fair!! And, for sure, you were not given the correct information on the 'phone..

Tim
    Scotland