What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having Trouble Downloading Updates For Multiple Devices

Tera Jackson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4, and IPod Touch. I am having trouble getting the new IOS5 software to download on my iPod and iPhone. I haven't tried on my iPad yet because I feel there's no point. Every time I try to download the software it says it will take up to 20 hours on my iPod and on my iPhone it says 4 hours. After about 20 minutes or all night a message pops up saying the session timed out or it failed to download. I have read around on the internet and other people are having problems with the IOS5 software. Any tips for what I can do different or is this just a software glitch that nothing can be done about? I'm about to give up.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tera-let me see if I am reading correctly that you do not have the iOS 5 currently on your devices? That your version is 4.x.x.

If so, this will be a very large update and you will go straight to 5.1. So things to remember is to be patient. Turn your virus protection off on your PC. Secure photos and other similar docs to a Dropbox or email them to yourself.

The thread I am pasting will talk in detail with what your need to do.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/49411-ios-5-5-0-1-upgrade-troubleshooting.html

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've not updated since 4.xx, you might be better off waiting till the traffic eases. There aren't huge changes with this upgrade, so waiting isn't a big deal.

I update my iDevices regularly, so I did OTA upgrades to iOS 5 on five gadgets (two iPad 1s, one iPad 2, one iPhone 4S and one iPod touch 4) without problems over the past three nights in the U.S. They each took 15 to 30 mins and there were zero hiccups. My husband has just started upgrading his iPhone 4, and it's cranking away at good speed, it seems.

Last edited:
OP
Tera Jackson

Tera Jackson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I update regularly I just can't seem to get this iOS 5.1. I will keep trying. I don't know why it seems to take so long only for the session to time out, but I will keep trying. Thanks for the help and advice:)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tera-there are many that are in the same boat. You are doing the update over the air (OTA) and you get the time saying 20 hours? That's very long-my estimate given was 5 minutes. I just did my iPod and it took only 10 minutes total. I don't have a lot of apps. No music or videos either. Not sure it that means anything with OTA vs a direct update when connecting to iTunes on pc with USB cord.

Most reactions