What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Half sign on keyboard

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good morning. I'm using an iPad and an iPhone 5s with an English keyboard. When l wish to write 1 and half litres it would simply to type the well known sign. But l maybe dumb but can't find it. Any one know?
Thanks in advance. Have a super weekend
B.B.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This one?
EA07A3F8-1B6E-4F5C-88B8-180B2FDD41A3.jpeg

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, you could use that like this 11/2 litres however that kinda looks Dorf. Normally the half sign has a
small 1 then the / followed with a small 2

Took this from google.

25 Aug 2015 · Fractions Some fractions (1/4, 1/2, and 3/4)
Maybe l need to install another keyboard to use these?
Although they are incorrect.
B.B.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The sotware keyboard’s Text Replacement feature has fraction symbols set up by default. When you type a common fraction like 1/2 it replaces it with ½ (if the feature is turned on in Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement).

There might be a trick to get the ½ and other fraction symbols from the keyboard, but I don’t know how.

You can get to all unicode characters using a Unicode app. I like Unicode Pad Pro by Ziga Kranjec. You can save favorites in the app, or if you use a character a lot, set it up as a text replacement.

7D8EB153-3380-453A-8FD0-18EC4B7FA2EE.png

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To get 1 ½ with the replacement feature, be sure to leave a space between the two 1’s. If you don’t want the space, then delete it after getting the ½. 1½

If you don’t have the space, the keyboard can’t distinquish between 1 ½ and 11/2. While eleven halves is uncommon, it’s not impossible someone wants to type it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I remember, the iPad comes with “On my way” as the only text replacement by default. If you want to set up fractions as shortcuts, you’ll have to use a Mac, or copy them from somewhere else, a website e.g.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keyboards are pretty handy, as @twerppoet and @J. A. have already said.

I find myself in the position of wanting to type Dvořák frequently. I set up a keyboard shortcut which will change dvorak to the composer's name complete with capital D and accents. Setting up on one device migrates the shortcut to all of your devices connected to iCloud.

If you use a Mac you can set up Unicode as a keyboard input method. I think I gave instructions in another thread. If desired, I'll repeat those instructions here.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as I remember, the iPad comes with “On my way” as the only text replacement by default. If you want to set up fractions as shortcuts, you’ll have to use a Mac, or copy them from somewhere else, a website e.g.

I didn’t set up the fractions, but since I had several device and computers on the same iCloud account, it’s possible they migrated from else where. At one point the shared shortcuts were actually a problem. Some older ones I was trying to delete kept comming back.

You can use the Unicode app I mentioned to copy&paste into Text Replacements. No need for a Mac.

792B2A84-3BA2-42ED-A35F-549C00933F64.png

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why not just install an extra iOS keyboard?. I use UniChar and it has all of the Unicode characters. Very well priced too, and for one price will install across all your iOS devices.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To get 1 ½ with the replacement feature, be sure to leave a space between the two 1’s. If you don’t want the space, then delete it after getting the ½. 1½

If you don’t have the space, the keyboard can’t distinquish between 1 ½ and 11/2. While eleven halves is uncommon, it’s not impossible someone wants to type it.

Hi I don't seem to have that list like you have. I am using the latest iOS. I have downloaded Unicode Pad Express. It solves the problem for now but l don't like having extra apps on my system.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Slow Keyboard
I have to keep my pen on the screen for much longer than before, for it to register. I understand there are things to try to correct this. Any ideas?
Thanks B.B.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Add the fractions you need to your keyboard shortcuts. You can remove the app afterwards, if you don’t need it any more.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Slow Keyboard
I have to keep my pen on the screen for much longer than before, for it to register. I understand there are things to try to correct this. Any ideas?
Thanks B.B.

What kind of pen?

If it’s one of the rubber tipped ones, they do tend to wear out. A new one may be in order.

If it’s the Apple Pen, make sure the tip is screwed in tightly. I’ve had it loosen itself before, causing upredictable behlavior.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi I don't seem to have that list like you have. I am using the latest iOS. I have downloaded Unicode Pad Express. It solves the problem for now but l don't like having extra apps on my system.

Hi so the main sign l tend to use is ½. As l wrote my drop down screen was not like yours. Here's what l have l achieved so far. With Unicode App Express.
IMG_3546.jpg
IMG_3548.jpg
IMG_3550.jpg

If you check the keyboard l type 3 letters the ½ appears on the keyboard.
B.B.

Most reactions