What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings

nursefeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am new to forum, but have been using iPad2 for 2 years. Have 2 questions:
1. The FB ap icon on my iPad is dark and I can't open it. I tried to remove/reinstall by holding the icon until it jiggled, thinking an "x" would appear and I could remove it. But that ap doesn't respond (doesn't jiggle) so I can't remove it or get it to open. I downloaded AOS 7 a couple of weeks ago - that may have something to do with the problem. Any advice?

2. I only have the use of my right arm due to brain surgery 20 years ago. Now I have torn 2 tendons in my right shoulder and will be having surgery to repair, which means immobilization of my only functioning hand and arm for 8 weeks at least. Does anyone have any suggestion for good accessibility functions? voice? other?

Thanks for any assistance.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Am new to forum, but have been using iPad2 for 2 years. Have 2 questions: 1. The FB ap icon on my iPad is dark and I can't open it. I tried to remove/reinstall by holding the icon until it jiggled, thinking an "x" would appear and I could remove it. But that ap doesn't respond (doesn't jiggle) so I can't remove it or get it to open. I downloaded AOS 7 a couple of weeks ago - that may have something to do with the problem. Any advice? 2. I only have the use of my right arm due to brain surgery 20 years ago. Now I have torn 2 tendons in my right shoulder and will be having surgery to repair, which means immobilization of my only functioning hand and arm for 8 weeks at least. Does anyone have any suggestion for good accessibility functions? voice? other? Thanks for any assistance.
Welcome to iPad Forums, the best iPad forum anywhere. In answer to your first question, you can delete the Facebook app by going to Settings>General>Usage, then tap on the Facebook icon in the list of installed apps. The screen that appears has a delete button. Tap on it to delete the app. You can then re-install it by going to your AppStore purchased list. image-286874007.jpg In regards to your second question, Siri may be able to help. I haven't used it for this purpose, so I can't say if it will do what you want.

Last edited:
OP
N

nursefeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem resolved! Thanks so much for your assistance, SCIfan57!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are quite few things under the Accessibility settings that will help with minimizing the need for complex gestures and accuracy. The settings most likely to be useful to you are under Settings > General > Accessibility the Physical & Motor section (near the bottom). I recommend playing with them now and seeing what they can and can't do for you.

The Switch control option allows for use of an external device to control the iPad. This is probably your best bet. I don't know enough myself to tell you how to use it, but it's a place to start.

The Assistive Touch would be useful, if say you could still poke at the iPad with a stylus, as it allows you to achieve complex actions with a series of single taps or gestures.

Good luck, and a quick recovery.

Last edited:
OP
N

nursefeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear twerppoet,
Thanks so much for your assistance. I have an appt with our local Peachmac store to learn the assistive devices, etc. Am scheduled to have a Botox injection to my left arm, to see if it will reduce spasticity ("tone") and enable me to get a functional grasp/release of my left hand which might enable me to use a stylus. Am also doing PT to strengthen rest of right shoulder prior to surgery. Sorry for delay in thanking you for your response. I have now bookmarked this site.

OP
N

nursefeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much, stg13! Am doing month of physical therapy(PT) to see if we can reduce pain, strengthen rest of shoulder; if yes, surgery postponed to summer when I will retire; if not, surgery in a month or two. I appreciate your good wishes!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dear twerppoet,
Thanks so much for your assistance. I have an appt with our local Peachmac store to learn the assistive devices, etc. Am scheduled to have a Botox injection to my left arm, to see if it will reduce spasticity ("tone") and enable me to get a functional grasp/release of my left hand which might enable me to use a stylus. Am also doing PT to strengthen rest of right shoulder prior to surgery. Sorry for delay in thanking you for your response. I have now bookmarked this site.

Good luck, and please come back and tell us how things work out. You never know, someone else might have heard of even better solutions by then.

Most reactions

Latest posts