What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gps

Bfreesun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad shows my location as my home in London rather than France where I actually am. Same with my wife's despite neither iPad having been there.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you connect to the Internet? Unless you have a 3G and a clear view of the sky, the iPad tries to estimate your location based on your IP address.

OP
B

Bfreesun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

So it should pick up the French IP.
We bought the ipads at Gatwick on our way here so they've never been to our London home, never mind connected to the wifi there.
I've taken the ipad out into the garden where my iPhone has no problem locating the correct location but the iPad still shows us being in London

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you gave a non-3G then you must have an Internet connection for it to estimate your location. True GPS is a iPad 3G exclusive.

What app are you using?

OP
B

Bfreesun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that the Apple Time Capsule I'm using as a router in France is making both ipads think we're in London as we use it in London as well. I'll try the Orange.fr Livebox direct which will give a French ip address and hopefully that will sort it out. I don't want to connect a UK sim card here as it will cost a fortune. Hoefully I can get a French one later today

OP
B

Bfreesun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No joy. Despite using French Livebox direct still shows our London address as current location despite the iPad never having been there. I'll try inserting the UK simand see if that makes any difference

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
wifi only ipad will never really know its accurate location. It has no GPS.

What it does is look a what wifi hotspots it can see, then it check online if any of those hotspots have a registered location with skyhook.

The wifi hotspot locations dont update automaticaly so if any of the hotspots move the ipad will think they are in the hotspots old location.

It could very will be that your hotspot is registerd in lonon, or one of your neighbors has a hotspot that was registered in london and then moved.

Your iphone gets good location because it actualy has a GPS built in (3g,3gs,iphone4)

Most reactions

Latest posts