What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gps

edenforge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm thinking of getting an iPad and would like some advice please.
My understanding is that only the 3G models have built in GPS, is that correct?
On the assumption that it is correct, do you need a SIM card inplace to get the GPS to work, or is it a proper GPS chip?
Regards
Bob

mi04se1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS works on both models, but on the wi-fi model, the gps can only go by wi-fi accesspoints. Thats why I got a 3G model for that reason. You can get a BT gps puck to work with wi-fi only, but IMO, its too much hassle. The gps works without wi-fi on or 3g data on the 3g-wi-fi model. I tried inside my house and it locks quick and is accurate.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
"Location" works on both models, but only the 3G has the full-fledged GPS chipset.

There is 1 BlueTooth GPs puck that works with the iPad, however at $100 you may as well spend the $30 difference and get the 3G model - even if you never use the 3G radio or service. 3G does not have to be on in order for the GPS to work.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the other hand, having 3G on will allow for faster location finding and a little better accuracy.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
deckyon said:
"Location" works on both models, but only the 3G has the full-fledged GPS chipset.

There is 1 BlueTooth GPs puck that works with the iPad, however at $100 you may as well spend the $30 difference and get the 3G model - even if you never use the 3G radio or service. 3G does not have to be on in order for the GPS to work.

I think that the official Apple web site is (even now) open to misinterpretation on this matter. Anyone can be forgiven for thinking that the both models have GPS after reading the web site. They really should explicitly say that the WiFi model does't have GPS. Also, in my opinion, "Wi-Fi + 3G model" can easily be misinterpreted as "Wi-Fi and 3G models" especially in non English speaking countries.

This is what you find under Tech Specs

Digital compass
Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you buy it in the USA, it will come with a SIM card installed. You do not have to activate the 3G service for the GPS to work, though it may not be able to use some of it's enhanced services to achieve faster location locks when you are out of WiFi range.

3G services come in two plans (250MB for $14.99 and 2GB for $29.99) that you can activate and deactivate at your convenience. They will auto renew if you forget to deactivate them before each period expires, but in compensation they will not allow you to go over you limit and get charged extra. If you do go over you limit and want more data you have to manually purchase another 250MB or 2GB of data at the same price.

The upshot, buy 3G. If you want it you can get it almost instantly. Otherwise you don't spend a penny over the extra $30 you pay to have the option, and GPS of course.

I have no idea if the GPS would work if there was no SIM card installed. I believe you can buy them this way in Europe, so maybe one of our friends over there can answer that question, if it is still important.

Last edited:

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mi04se1 said:
Thats what I thought at first. Before I bought mine, I did some exploring to find out only the 3g model has real gps.

I did discover this fact before I purchased. What didn't occur to me was to get the 3G version without a data plan. If I had to decide again, I would do that to get GPS.

OP
E

edenforge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks to all for the advice, looks like it is the 3G that I want :)
All the best
Bob

Brewc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Compass? where is this at there isnt a icon like I see like onthe iphone 4?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I have a 16G Wifi only iPad, and the gps is working the same as my iPhone. Of course, I never tried it on the road since I need an Internet connection when moving around, but I have been at a few places and each time, the gps game me my exact location on the map.

I bought mine in Canada at FutureShop.

dcamjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wifi only iPad will work with bt gps pucks. There is only one apple endorsed one now. However if you j/b you can use any of them. I am using a visiontac that cost $30. It is about the size of a zippo lighter and works great.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you point me to the apple endorsed one?
I always find the ones you have jb your device for (well, did that, but for my iPod I want to see 4.3 first before jbing that one, too)

Henning737

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mike_73 said:
I always find the ones you have jb your device for (well, did that, but for my iPod I want to see 4.3 first before jbing that one, too)

GNS 5870 is the one - 99$

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mike_73 said:

GNS 5870 is the one - 99$

Just checked on amazon, and I really don't like the design. It looks dated :(

Most reactions

Latest posts