What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS Speedometer

GhostWriterNT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering whether or not an Apple GPS Speedometer, that operates in conjunction with an iPad App. exists?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The speed you are travelling at can be easily calculated by any app which accesses the GPS services of a suitably enabled device. The App Store contains literally dozens of applications which provide speedometer capabilities (a search in iTunes for "gps speedometer" returns 55 results for the iPad alone).

Is that what you mean?

There is no Apple provided "in built" GPS application. They just provide the API hooks for others to develop their own apps.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is a curious (in my mind) question. Certainly, I have not seen any such thing. You are looking for a device which displays vehicle speed, based upon GPS, made by apple, and maintains some relationship to the iPad?

Certainly, there are iPad apps that display speed, based on internal GPS. You are looking for something different?

OP
GhostWriterNT

GhostWriterNT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only have a Wi-Fi functioning iPad 2, which rules out GPS on the move. I'm looking for something that is similar to the Nike/Apple device, that logs how far one runs, aided by GPS updates. It would be great to attach a GPS Speedometer to my bike, log important data (for me, anyway) such as elevation/gradient etc., speed and distance. Then, upload the data onto my iPad through an App.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, OK you are looking for an external GPS device which can interface with an App via bluetooth or similar. I understand now.

Sorry, I don't know of any, but that's not something I've done any research into as all my iPad devices have been 3G (and therefore GPS) enabled.

I use the MotionX apps to provide that functionality on my iPad and iPhone.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, OK you are looking for an external GPS device which can interface with an App via bluetooth or similar. I understand now.

Sorry, I don't know of any, but that's not something I've done any research into as all my iPad devices have been 3G (and therefore GPS) enabled.

I use the MotionX apps to provide that functionality on my iPad and iPhone.

following on from those thoughts...

I'd suggest you might be better researching specific GPS devices and finding out if they have IOS support, rather than looking for an app with support for external devices. It sounds like you need much more than a simple bluetooth GPS to be able to record journey data when out and about, and so that kind of device is much more likely to come with it's own bundled app.

Good Luck!

OP
GhostWriterNT

GhostWriterNT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, thanks for your input. I thinks it's something to consider for the future.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are very welcome.

Other members may well know of a specific solution too, so keep an eye on the thread....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is one you can find on Amazon.com called the Dual XGPS-150. It is a bluetooth receiver that works with both iOS and Android. I have used it with my wifi tablets and it works well. Since the link to your device is BlueTooth (wireless), you can put it on your dash so it has a good view of the sky. Then, you can get one of several nav apps that display speed. Navigon does it as does MotionX Drive GPS. There my be other apps too but these on the ones i have first-hand experience with.

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GhostWriterNT said:
I only have a Wi-Fi functioning iPad 2, which rules out GPS on the move. I'm looking for something that is similar to the Nike/Apple device, that logs how far one runs, aided by GPS updates. It would be great to attach a GPS Speedometer to my bike, log important data (for me, anyway) such as elevation/gradient etc., speed and distance. Then, upload the data onto my iPad through an App.

You can buy a thing In apple store that goes on shoe but that reports to your iphone.I don't think you'll want to run with your ipad.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the garmin edge 500 cycling computer. I am sure that I can view the data on an ipad via web page. The garmin edge 510 appears to be able to directly sync to an ipad or ipod via app and bluetooth.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Delorme Bluetooth that I got for my PDA (it came with a map program for the PC too). It connects to my iPad and iPhone (I don't use it with either as I have the cellular iPad3). So there are Bluetooth solutions out there, with most devices coming with GPS internal I don't know how long they will continue to make and sell them though.

Most reactions

Latest posts