What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS App for WiFi iPad?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am close to buying the GNS 5870 GPS receiver and the next question is which software to buy to go with it. Obviously my iPad is WiFi only.

I would want onboard (off road) maps for Australia and New Zealand and I am willing to pay a moderate price for maps if necessary. Any recommendation?

Has anyone used MotionX HD?

Any suggestions on car navigation software again with onboard maps?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MotionX GPS Drive is good but I'm not sure the HD version will work on the iPad WiFi. I only have the non-HD version that I got for my iPhone and it does load on my iPad. But under compatibility it lists iPad and iPhone whereas the HD version specifically states iPad 3G + Wifi (which is how Apple refers to the 3G iPad). I think the non-drive HD version states iPad compatibility. Whew, confusing.

GPS Drive doesn't use off-line maps per se, but it will cache them if you download in advance.

I have Navigon, and like it, for my iPhone 4 and it too loads on my iPad. That is 100% onboard map storage. Here in the USA that means quite a bit of map data... so since I am jailbroken I delete anything I am not using and it cut the size down by more than 75%. If I am going to a state that I don't have loaded I merely reload that area (SSH in).

Michael

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't even let u download motion x as I tried a while back and again a few mins ago as I have wifi only also

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad 3G + Wifi (which is how Apple refers to the 3G iPad).
I am glad to see that Apple has stopped using the term "3G + WiFi". When this is used in phrases such as "works with 3G + WiFi" can easily be misinterpreted as working with both models, especially in Europe.

Thanks for the comments on GPS software. I believe GNS receiver feeds into to Location Services in the "proper" way and should work with any GPS software. If as, another poster says, MotionX refuses to download to a WiFi IPad, that would be unfortunate.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't even let u download motion x as I tried a while back and again a few mins ago as I have wifi only also
Well I am pretty sure you can download and buy it from the app store on a pc or mac.... though if it won't let you buy it on the device it likely won't load. But if it wasn't for the developer specifying iPad 3G+Wifi it would install and run--that I know.

Perhaps contacting the developer will help as the sister app to GPS Drive HD, GPS HD, does in fact install and run on a wifi only iPad. I wouldn't tell them you are jailbroken but rather using GNS 5870 MFI unit that works with the WiFi iPad without a jailbreak. It seems very odd they would let you install the walking version of the app but not the driving version--I would think few people are out there hiking trails with big iPads with them. ;)

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yea please report back on the GNS 5870!

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also had issues downloading GPS driving apps with a WiFi only iPad.

Returned it for a 3G model.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, this don't sound very encouraging so far. There isn't much point in having the GNS device unless there is an app with onboard maps, so that it can be used where there is no WiFi.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, this don't sound very encouraging so far. There isn't much point in having the GNS device unless there is an app with onboard maps, so that it can be used where there is no WiFi.
What is wrong with Navigon? It is 100% onboard maps. And it is iPad friendly, even WiFi only iPad.

Also there is a way to get MotionX Drive to install and run.

Michael

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
What is wrong with Navigon? It is 100% onboard maps. And it is iPad friendly, even WiFi only iPad.

Also there is a way to get MotionX Drive to install and run.

Michael

And how is that? Isn't navigon expensive for ones that aren't jailbroken?

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue is that the WiFi only iPad doesn't allow Bluetooth connections to a GPS receiver. You can jailbreak it and use BTStack GPS from Cydia and then the software that requires a GPS to run will download and install, as it sees the BTStack and accepts it as the GPS source. Unless you JB, there isn't a way to use external GPS with WiFi only iPads.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jakerich said:
The issue is that the WiFi only iPad doesn't allow Bluetooth connections to a GPS receiver. You can jailbreak it and use BTStack GPS from Cydia and then the software that requires a GPS to run will download and install, as it sees the BTStack and accepts it as the GPS source. Unless you JB, there isn't a way to use external GPS with WiFi only iPads.

Is gps really that big of a deal n the iPad? I can't decide and I have it n my head as if I have to have it!!! Haha I have a 32 gb now and I dnt even plan on activating the 3G on the ipad2, I would just wireless tether when not home with it

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not true... the GNS 5870 GPS receiver mentioned in the first post does just that, and no jailbreaking required.

The issue here is about getting GPS apps to work with WiFi iPad--not all do.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts