What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS App for WiFi iPad?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And how is that? Isn't navigon expensive for ones that aren't jailbroken?
He didn't ask about inexpensive... only something that worked and used onboard maps, which Navigon does. It has been on sale many times and one of those times is when I bought it.

Michael

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is wrong with Navigon? It is 100% onboard maps. And it is iPad friendly, even WiFi only iPad.

My point was that only MotionX had been discussed thus far and it seems to be in doubt as far as WiFi only iPads are concerned.

Navigon looks good, thanks for suggesting it. I think the price is quite reasonable considering that Navteq maps are included. It's possibly better suited to the iPhone or iPod Touch, as the iPad is bait big for use in a car. I am tempted to try to figure out a way to do it though because large screen would be nice and easy to read.

I was originally looking more for GPS mapping sofware I must say.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Navigon looks good, thanks for suggesting it. I think the price is quite reasonable considering that Navteq maps are included. It's possibly better suited to the iPhone or iPod Touch, as the iPad is bait big for use in a car. I am tempted to try to figure out a way to do it though because large screen would be nice and easy to read.

I was originally looking more for GPS mapping sofware I must say.
Maybe I am thinking of someone else but I thought one time you said you had a bluetooth gps... just a standard one.

If so maybe you can try jailbreaking first to see how it all works. It wouldn't cost much (only need BTStack GPS for $5).

Michael

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jakerich said:
The issue is that the WiFi only iPad doesn't allow Bluetooth connections to a GPS receiver. You can jailbreak it and use BTStack GPS from Cydia and then the software that requires a GPS to run will download and install, as it sees the BTStack and accepts it as the GPS source. Unless you JB, there isn't a way to use external GPS with WiFi only iPads.

Is gps really that big of a deal n the iPad? I can't decide and I have it n my head as if I have to have it!!! Haha I have a 32 gb now and I dnt even plan on activating the 3G on the ipad2, I would just wireless tether when not home with it

I hear ya... it all depends on what you intend to use it for.

I'll be installing my iPad2 in the dash of my car and it will be my entire car entertainment system so GPS is mandatory for me.

But for 9 out of 10 iPad users... GPS is not an issue...

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe I am thinking of someone else but I thought one time you said you had a bluetooth gps... just a standard one.

If so maybe you can try jailbreaking first to see how it all works. It wouldn't cost much (only need BTStack GPS for $5).

Michael

Yes, I do have a BT GPS but I am reluctant to jailbreak the iPad. I am quite comfortable with buying the GNS device, it's than a third of the price of my original BT GPS. Combined with the Navigon app it looks like quite a good option.

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue is that the WiFi only iPad doesn't allow Bluetooth connections to a GPS receiver. You can jailbreak it and use BTStack GPS from Cydia and then the software that requires a GPS to run will download and install, as it sees the BTStack and accepts it as the GPS source. Unless you JB, there isn't a way to use external GPS with WiFi only iPads.
Not true... the GNS 5870 GPS receiver mentioned in the first post does just that, and no jailbreaking required.

The issue here is about getting GPS apps to work with WiFi iPad--not all do.

Michael
I don't know how the GNS receiver works, but the software mentioned here, Navigon and MotionX, both look for the GPS in a way that the WiFi only iPad doesn't support, so the software won't install. That's what led to me doing the JB and installing BTStack. Even without it being paired to the receiver, if BTStack is running, those two install and run successfully. I have Navigon, MotionX, CopilotHD North America, IGO North America and N-Drive installed, in addition to Inrix Traffic installed and running on my WiFi iPad.

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jakerich is right. The GNS works fine with un JB iPad wi fi only. I'm finding more and more apps that find the position just as if it was onboard....make sure in settings for the app allow the app to use location services..I admit I have not tried any car apps except the native maps...but as a nautical chart plotter or stand alone gps data it's great

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know how the GNS receiver works, but the software mentioned here, Navigon and MotionX, both look for the GPS in a way that the WiFi only iPad doesn't support, so the software won't install.

I don't think that this statement is correct. I am pretty sure that the GNS BT GPS inputs the data into Loction Services, which is where all GPS apps look for GPS data.

Other BT GPS receivers use the BT Serial Profile which the iPad does not support. To use them, you need to jailbreak the iPad and install a BT stack that supports the Serial Profile.

I can only assume that Apple has implemented a "Location Services" BT Profile rather than use the Serial Profile that everyone else uses and that GNS has catered for this.

As I understand it, Location Services uses the best method available data source to provide location coordinates to apps. Normally, on the WiFi only iPad, this is based on a database of WiFi Mac addresses which only works if you are within range of WiFi routers. When you use the GNS receiver, Location Services will recognise it and use it, even on the WiFi only iPad.

The the problem is that some GPS app suppliers have assumed that if you don't have the 3G model, you can't get GPS data. Presumably they are thinking of Google Maps etc which download map data as required. Possibly they also consider that the iPad GPS receiver is part of the 3G chipset and that, if this is not present, there must be no GPS data. Their installer refuses to proceed if it doesn't detect 3G hardware, an unnecessary restriction.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how the GNS receiver works, but the software mentioned here, Navigon and MotionX, both look for the GPS in a way that the WiFi only iPad doesn't support, so the software won't install.
Not true. Navigon is not looking for any GPS hardware before installing. Neither is MotionX GPS... I have it installed on my wifi only iPad right now.

In the case of MotionX Drive HD the only reason it won't install is because it was flagged as needing an iPad 3G when submitted to the app store. It is not the app that is preventing it from installing, it is the app store. Indeed it will install and run on a WiFi iPad because I have tried it--but you can't go through iTunes.

Michael

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
Not true. Navigon is not looking for any GPS hardware before installing. Neither is MotionX GPS... I have it installed on my wifi only iPad right now.

In the case of MotionX Drive HD the only reason it won't install is because it was flagged as needing an iPad 3G when submitted to the app store. It is not the app that is preventing it from installing, it is the app store. Indeed it will install and run on a WiFi iPad because I have tried it--but you can't go through iTunes.

Michael

Ok so i was trying to determine to buy 3 g for the gps or jus the wifi, but if i get wifi ill pay $130 cheaper, then purchase navigon for $59 i was thinking id save $70 bucks but the id have to purchase the Gns5870 too right? So it's almost a wash huh? Mind as well get the 3 g model

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Except that I saw a post somewhere by a pilot that the GNS was more accurate than the onboard chip in 3G version....and the GNS let's u put in in better view of the sky....

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:

Michael

Ok so i was trying to determine to buy 3 g for the gps or jus the wifi, but if i get wifi ill pay $130 cheaper, then purchase navigon for $59 i was thinking id save $70 bucks but the id have to purchase the Gns5870 too right? So it's almost a wash huh? Mind as well get the 3 g model
That is up to you but your math is not taking into account that if you still wanted Navigon that expense is still there in either scenario.

I'm assuming you meant you would just rely on MotionX. While that is very inexpensive to purchase initially, you would have to pay extra for turn-by-turn directions--either $20 for a year or $3 for 30 days. Still cheaper, but in my case I have owned Navigon for nearly two years now and only had to pay once. I got Navigon on sale for $40 and feel it was worth it.

Michael

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Given the choice again, I would get the 3G. I was focussed on the fact that I didn't want to pay for a data service the I didn't need just to get GPS. I should have gone for a 3G and simply not purchased a SIM card.

Having said that, with shipping, the GNS will cost about the same or only slightly more. Some benefits are that it might be a little more accurate and can be placed to receive a stronger signal (in the car for example). Personally I would (on balance) prefer the convenience of builtin GPS.

Either way you need to buy an app to get onboard maps, which the whole point of the exercise. Navigon is not expensive when you consider that you get Navteq maps with it. That must make up a large percentage of the price.

Most reactions

Latest posts