What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got my iPad 2 yesterday!

boesman01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hurray!

Took possession of my first ever Apple product yesterday (iPad 2) and I must say that I am really impressed with it. Everything works seamlessly.

I would like to get recommendations from you guys as to what app I need to get for my iPad to read my email and web pages for me. Is "Dragon dictation" the best or are there better apps out there?

I appreciate your comments.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congratulatons, enjoy your experience with the ipad2. As much as i love my ipad1, i prefer the ipad 2 for its size, better specs and lower price

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hurray!

Took possession of my first ever Apple product yesterday (iPad 2) and I must say that I am really impressed with it. Everything works seamlessly.

I would like to get recommendations from you guys as to what app I need to get for my iPad to read my email and web pages for me. Is "Dragon dictation" the best or are there better apps out there?

I appreciate your comments.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I have Dragon Dictation but, at least as far as I know, it is used for speech-to-text conversion and you seem to want text-to-speech. The iPad has some text-to-speech conversion built-in, see 'Settings', 'General', 'Accessibility' - where you can turn on various text-to-speech options.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

boesman01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Dragon Dictation but, at least as far as I know, it is used for speech-to-text conversion and you seem to want text-to-speech. The iPad has some text-to-speech conversion built-in, see 'Settings', 'General', 'Accessibility' - where you can turn on various text-to-speech options.Tim Scotland

Hi Tim

Thank you for your suggestion that I did follow. However, VoiceOver changes the way you have to use your iPad, double tap in stead of single tap and all of this is a bit confusing for a new user like me. LOL. So I decided to change the speech settings back to default.

I tried to obtain a copy of Dragon Dictation from the App store (Dragon Dictation for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store), but no results are displayed and I get the message "Your request could not be completed."

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for the help.

Casper

Hup55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, received my iPad 2 32 GB wi-fi 3G on Friday, absolutely love it, I also have the leather smart cover works really cool.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Dragon Dictation but, at least as far as I know, it is used for speech-to-text conversion and you seem to want text-to-speech. The iPad has some text-to-speech conversion built-in, see 'Settings', 'General', 'Accessibility' - where you can turn on various text-to-speech options.Tim Scotland

Hi Tim

Thank you for your suggestion that I did follow. However, VoiceOver changes the way you have to use your iPad, double tap in stead of single tap and all of this is a bit confusing for a new user like me. LOL. So I decided to change the speech settings back to default.

I tried to obtain a copy of Dragon Dictation from the App store (Dragon Dictation for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store), but no results are displayed and I get the message "Your request could not be completed."

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for the help.

Casper

I notice you are going to the US Store - but you live in South Africa. You're probably redirected to the South African store but it's possible that this app is not available there. Are you trying this from the iPad itself or from your PC?

If it's from your PC just check it's not available by going to the iPad's native App Store app and searching for Dragon and see if it shows. If it doesn't then I'm afraid you won't be able to get a copy unless you start an account in the US Apple App Store. There seem to copyright and other 'legal' reasons why some apps aren't available in some countries....

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, received my iPad 2 32 GB wi-fi 3G on Friday, absolutely love it, I also have the leather smart cover works really cool.

Good to hear from you too. Welcome to the Forum from a sunny Scotland.

Tim

OP
B

boesman01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice you are going to the US Store - but you live in South Africa. You're probably redirected to the South African store but it's possible that this app is not available there. Are you trying this from the iPad itself or from your PC?

If it's from your PC just check it's not available by going to the iPad's native App Store app and searching for Dragon and see if it shows. If it doesn't then I'm afraid you won't be able to get a copy unless you start an account in the US Apple App Store. There seem to copyright and other 'legal' reasons why some apps aren't available in some countries....

Tim

Seems you are right Tim, According to Apple - Search Results the Dragon software is not available in SA.

Is there anything similar that you could recommend perhaps?

Reaction score
boesman01 said:
Seems you are right Tim, According to Apple - Search Results the Dragon software is not available in SA.

Is there anything similar that you could recommend perhaps?

You can still use DA. All you need is an extra Apple ID from a country, where DA is available.

Just go to iTunes, on the desktop, setup a new apple ID for a UK one, (UK, because it offers dragon dictation and doesn't require any payment info, you can just pick No Payment, instead of choosing a CC).

Now on your iPad, go to Settings->Store and log out. Than log in with the UK account, go to the AppStore, download DA. Afterwards log out again and login with your SA account.

Actually, you can do it all from your iPad. Just logout from Settings->Store, then setup a new account.

Last edited:
OP
B

boesman01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can still use DA. All you need is an extra Apple ID from a country, where DA is available.

Just go to iTunes, on the desktop, setup a new apple ID for a UK one, (UK, because it offers dragon dictation and doesn't require any payment info, you can just pick No Payment, instead of choosing a CC).

Seems like they saw me coming. I did the above but seems that you HAVE TO supply a credit card number (Visa/MasterCard/Amex/Maestro) and that this card number is checked to verify that it is in fact an UK credit card. I got the message "Your payment method is not valid in this store. Please enter a new payment method."

Oh well...

mmalan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
boesman01 said:
Seems like they saw me coming. I did the above but seems that you HAVE TO supply a credit card number (Visa/MasterCard/Amex/Maestro) and that this card number is checked to verify that it is in fact an UK credit card. I got the message "Your payment method is not valid in this store. Please enter a new payment method."

Oh well...

Hi Boesman
I live in Namibia and had the same problem. There is a solution. You have to register an new account from your IPAD's itunes store.. You go to iTunes and logout from your SA id. Then you tap on a free app and itnunes will ask you to login again or create a new account. You go right to the bottom of the page and change your country to US, THEN you create a new US account....if you Google "how to create an US account without a US credit card" you will find lots of people showing you step by step. I've done that yesterday. After the whole account creating-episode, you buy itunes vouchers on ebay (just google that to) and you can buy any app you like. I now own an UK & US ACOUNTS that way. Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts