What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got mine, what shall I do?

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kinda tech savvy here, not a big Apple fan, but when the first iPad came out I liked it. Wasn't able to get one thanks to family medical bills...

Fast forward and recently I had a bad bike wreck, broke my neck and back and some ribs and stuff. My sister was nice enough to send me this new ipad2, since my laptop was very difficult to work with.

Still learning my way around this neat toy. Looking forward to tips and tricks, as well as getting back on my bike someday.

Thanks,
Roger

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! That's too bad. Here's to a fast recovery.

There is a thread about Tips and Tricks that has a ton of replies. I think it's in the general iPad forum, but you can do a search for Tips and Tricks if you don't find it there.

Ed

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Roger - hope that your 'neck injury' was not that severe (i.e. any paralysis?) - I'm a retired doctor - BTW, welcome to the forum! :)

Hope that your recovery is quick & complete - please update us and wish that all goes well in your healing process! Dave

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are actually two threads for Tips and Tricks. One is for IOS5, the other is "Tips and Tricks - for those of us who don't know" (or something like that). The latter is a very large thread with a ton of good information. The former is a relatively small thread for the updated IOS5.

OP
Z

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Doc, i'm very lucky to have full feeling and function everywhere. Only a couple minor things I can live with. I'm putting my bike back on the trainer as soon as I get my feels back. I am getting a recumbent trike by spring though. My sister did a huge thing giving me this. It is easy to update my FB page and email. I would like to get to my gmail chat... Someday. Biggest plan for this will be ebooks and such. I have yet to transfer my music either, don't know if I will anytime soon.

Yes Doc, I'm doing good and tearing up recovery in therapy. I am 8 weeks since the wreck and being fused T7-12. Wear this collar till the end of next month at least. Ribs aren't bugging me as much, and have gone back to work part time. I would say I'm doing fairly well. Of course, I also had my left knee replaced last year and everyone expected me to slow down... Nope! Maybe this time.

Thanks for the welcome!

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zjrog said:
I have yet to transfer my music either, don't know if I will anytime soon.!

If you're updated to IOS5 you can stream your music via WiFi from your computer. I didn't have any luck doing that before updating.

Ed

OP
Z

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That will be cool as long as I'm connected. Neat iPad trick though. Oops, that means I'll have to leave that dinosaur gaming machine running nonstop then... I need to update ios5 soon.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No Doc, i'm very lucky to have full feeling and function everywhere. Only a couple minor things I can live with. I'm putting my bike back on the trainer as soon as I get my feels back. I am getting a recumbent trike by spring though. My sister did a huge thing giving me this. It is easy to update my FB page and email. I would like to get to my gmail chat... Someday. Biggest plan for this will be ebooks and such. I have yet to transfer my music either, don't know if I will anytime soon.

Yes Doc, I'm doing good and tearing up recovery in therapy. I am 8 weeks since the wreck and being fused T7-12. Wear this collar till the end of next month at least. Ribs aren't bugging me as much, and have gone back to work part time. I would say I'm doing fairly well. Of course, I also had my left knee replaced last year and everyone expected me to slow down... Nope! Maybe this time.

Thanks for the welcome!

Zjrog--
Glad to hear that you are recovering well. I am a Physical Therapist and know all too well the recovery time is for injuries and surgical procedures!! Keep it up-get strong and pretty soon you get moving! Your sister was so kind to get you the Ipad2! It's a wonderful device and will surely help pass your time during your recovery! Take care and best wishes to you! :)

OP
Z

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had to learn no matter what I put into therapy, my body is only going to donwhat it will. So I do the best I can do, and hope I'm healing. My therapist is the same guy I saw for my knee. I trust him and he knows how to keep me motivated. Its still early and I have a long road ahead still!

OP
Z

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What a month... I needed a new phone and am stuck with AT&T, its the only carrier that works where I do. They offer the iPhone 3GS for free right now, but chose the Motorola Atrix instead. 16GB memory with a micro SD slot and able to add up to 32GB. Its nice, but still like using the iPad2 about the house and anytime I'm away from my chair or away from home. My daughter got an iPhone4 and loves it. Good replacement for her old phone and her old 8GB iPod which is kind of beat. My iPad is set for Verizon. Which my daughter and wife are using. Adding data to my own phone, not quite ready to add another data plan to the other phone bill. But it is VERY tempting!

Tried tethering my iPad2 through my Atrix, but no joy, they won't play together. Getting ready to upgrade the home electronics mess as well. This will include 2 wifi capable BluRay players (living room and bedroom), adding storage to my NAS and getting a new printer that does wifi, e-print and airprint. It might be nice to print from the iPad and the iPhone. Toyed with building a Home Theater PC, still may. I can play 720i movies through the Atrix phone and its HDMI output. Could be interesting for the geek in me.

Therapy is still going well. Therapist has added a few more exercises and I'm tolerating them well. Saw my Rehab Doc last week and he is very pleased with my progress. I learned with my knee that I can push some things, and not others, this, is a whole new ballgame. I hope to get the collar off next week when I see the surgeon. Then I can drive again and give my daughter a break. She wants, and will be getting, a Nook Tablet next month. She well deserves it for all she has done. Shoot, I'd get her an iPad if she wanted one. She prefers the size of the Nook.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi zjrog-so glad to hear about your updated progress!! It has been a while since we last heard from you and sounds like you are getting around much better considering your multiple joint injury!! So much to be thankful for!! The nook tablet looks pretty sweet-your daughter will just love it!! Happy thanksgiving !!

OP
Z

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a bluetooth keyboard and case, iHome branded. I like having cursor keys if typing more than a short note. Once I was back to work and semi-rehabilitated I wasn't using the iPad2 quite as much, but find it useful for many things beyond just surfing the web. I still haven't activated the 3G, and not sure I will. Hate having too many bills. I do use the iPad2 everyday, and sometimes even, instead of my laptop. I take it to work, doctors appointments, and just running around. When I needed to replace my printer recently, I chose one with wifi and airprint. Very useful device. And at present I just don't see replacing it with anything.

Bought my daughter the Nook Tablet. She loves it, and it will be useful when she goes back to college this summer. My wife liked it enough, I bought her one also, and she uses it all the time, 10x more than the laptop I bought her. Which was a big surprise. I've messed with it and I might have bought one for me, if I didn't have the iPad2 already. With the Nook app, I can share book with family and friends.

I didn't mention it in previous posts, my accident was August 21st. My specific injuries other than the burst fractures in the T7, 8, 9 and 10, and ribs, was an occipital condyle avulsion and cracked C2 and 3 vertebra. I went back to work 7 weeks later, very limited. Got my cervical collar off after Thanksgiving. I've had only 5 pain pills since Christmas and use muscle relaxers as needed. I was discharged from Physical Therapy 3 weeks ago. And spend time in the gym. I'm at very low weights, and cleared all exercises with my docs and PT. Pretty sobering when I gave the therapist a list of 37 back exercises I was interested in, and he crossed off all but 8. With explanations of breaking rods or screws or pulling screws out... By all measures, I'm doing pretty good. *I* feel fragile and am very careful in everything I do. Slippery surfaces are especially troubling. But I'm getting by. Silver lining to this, is, my blood pressure is down, and I've lost 40 pounds. The above is more for the retired doc and the therapist that commented. I DO know how lucky I am...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got a bluetooth keyboard and case, iHome branded. I like having cursor keys if typing more than a short note. Once I was back to work and semi-rehabilitated I wasn't using the iPad2 quite as much, but find it useful for many things beyond just surfing the web. I still haven't activated the 3G, and not sure I will. Hate having too many bills. I do use the iPad2 everyday, and sometimes even, instead of my laptop. I take it to work, doctors appointments, and just running around. When I needed to replace my printer recently, I chose one with wifi and airprint. Very useful device. And at present I just don't see replacing it with anything.

Bought my daughter the Nook Tablet. She loves it, and it will be useful when she goes back to college this summer. My wife liked it enough, I bought her one also, and she uses it all the time, 10x more than the laptop I bought her. Which was a big surprise. I've messed with it and I might have bought one for me, if I didn't have the iPad2 already. With the Nook app, I can share book with family and friends.

I didn't mention it in previous posts, my accident was August 21st. My specific injuries other than the burst fractures in the T7, 8, 9 and 10, and ribs, was an occipital condyle avulsion and cracked C2 and 3 vertebra. I went back to work 7 weeks later, very limited. Got my cervical collar off after Thanksgiving. I've had only 5 pain pills since Christmas and use muscle relaxers as needed. I was discharged from Physical Therapy 3 weeks ago. And spend time in the gym. I'm at very low weights, and cleared all exercises with my docs and PT. Pretty sobering when I gave the therapist a list of 37 back exercises I was interested in, and he crossed off all but 8. With explanations of breaking rods or screws or pulling screws out... By all measures, I'm doing pretty good. *I* feel fragile and am very careful in everything I do. Slippery surfaces are especially troubling. But I'm getting by. Silver lining to this, is, my blood pressure is down, and I've lost 40 pounds. The above is more for the retired doc and the therapist that commented. I DO know how lucky I am...

Hi Zjrog--

Thanks so much for your update! I am truly happy that you are getting stronger each day and that you have just recently graduated from Physical Therapy! Yes, it is a long recovery, particularly the Occipital condyle fractures/C2 and 3. However, every day I am sure you feel stronger and more confident when weight bearing!

Seems like your whole family loves their electronic gadgets-they certainly are useful and wonderful to use aren't they?

Again, so glad to hear about your progress-and that you have returned to work! :)

OP
Z

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My limitations are still no high impact activities. Weights as I can tolerate but nothing over 25# overhead. I know I'm doing pretty well, but get reminders of what could have been. My only real complaint is my neck is still quite stiff and a muscle/tendon group just didn't respond to heat, TENS use, ultrasound or even manual manipulation. My therapist is very good at that. He worked with me to adjust my posture, which has been bad for years. My change in gait between the knee replacement and now back fusion and posture modification has created other issues, but working through them.

Yes, we love our little toys. Especially the little smartphones. All have strengths and all have weakness'. And none do I wish to live without. OK, I'm hooked!

Co-workers thought I'd be out for months, not the 7 weeks I was. They are happy to have me back. Even with my limits. Still, no high impact activities and no weight more than 25# overhead. No rush, I'll get better and stronger as time goes by. I pushed hard with my knee, not taking any risks with my back. Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts