What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Worried Apple Might Not Approve Maps App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Google_Maps_Live_Traffic_update.JPG

The Guardian reports today that Google is concerned that the new version of iOS Maps that it is currently working on may never get approved by Apple. Of course the whole Apple Maps controversy is well documented, with Apple booting Google Maps off iOS, and replacing it with its own in-house version that leaves a lot to be desired. Many who do not like Apple Maps have been hoping that they will soon be able to have Google Maps on their iOS device again with a new standalone Google app, but now the Guardian says that sources at Google are “not optimistic†that Apple will approve a Google Maps app. The report goes on to say that Google is continuing to develop the app however, and it will be ready to ship by the end of the year, but this is only in preparation for the “unlikely event†that Apple will approve the app.

Source: Google sources think maps app might struggle for Apple approval | Technology | guardian.co.uk

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of saber rattling on Google's part to me. Have they deliberately written the app so that it falls foul of Apple's rules? It would seem so, or how could they be so sure?

There are plenty of apps in the store that are in direct competition with Apple's own products.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
It says a great deal about Google - and perhaps its desperation.
Why waste resources on something you're pretty sure isn't going to fly - unless it's to get publicity. In this case, an ad would be more cost effective.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see no reason that a Google Map app would be rejected.

Apple replaced Google Maps with their own app because Google refused to add turn by turn directions. The contract was expiring in less than a year anyway.

Google can certainly release a stand alone maps app just like the others already in the App Store

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see no reason that a Google Map app would be rejected.

Apple replaced Google Maps with their own app because Google refused to add turn by turn directions. The contract was expiring in less than a year anyway.

Google can certainly release a stand alone maps app just like the others already in the App Store

Google did not refuse. Apple refused to allow Google to collect certain information while people used Google maps under iOS citing privacy concerns. Apple was right to do so. Google then said no deal and left Apple no choice but to make their own Maps. The reason Google doesn't believe Apple will approve is because Google will still try to collect that data with its new app.

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Google did not refuse. Apple refused to allow Google to collect certain information while people used Google maps under iOS citing privacy concerns. Apple was right to do so. Google then said no deal and left Apple no choice but to make their own Maps. The reason Google doesn't believe Apple will approve is because Google will still try to collect that data with its new app.

That's a very interesting answer, I had no idea about some of those details. No wonder Apple wouldn't allow Google to carry on.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the sticking points was Google's Latitude being included with the Google Maps. Google insisted and Apple refused. Basically because Latitude would give near real time positional data on where every iPhone user was. Now combine that with that person doing a Google search and then you have a whole lot of information about what that person was possibly doing and where. Apple simply wasn't going to let that happen. No matter how good Google Maps is.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the sticking points was Google's Latitude being included with the Google Maps. Google insisted and Apple refused. Basically because Latitude would give near real time positional data on where every iPhone user was. Now combine that with that person doing a Google search and then you have a whole lot of information about what that person was possibly doing and where. Apple simply wasn't going to let that happen. No matter how good Google Maps is.

Good on Apple!

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good on Apple!

I thought so as well :D

But I will take a minute to play devil's advocate to be fair. I can see one scenario where Apple was thinking "Google's setup would allow for more targeted ad revenue on search results. Maybe we can start getting a slice of that pie if we do our own map application and track the same data". My hope is that didn't actually happen. Apple already has iAd, where you can turn off location awareness, and the fact that Apple hasn't created an online search engine sort of gives credence to them protecting privacy.

Of course someone could always just say "Apple just did it to stop helping Google make money off of Apple users". To be blunt, I don't think I could come up with any factual information to disprove that statement.

Most reactions

Latest posts