What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Drive

lakelander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings to all,
I created several files on my Pages app and than uploaded them to my google drive by using WebDAV services. I see the files are uploaded to my G drive but have no contents at all just blank pages but the file name. Can some one help me to solve this problem ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't know Google Drive had a WebDAV server. I'll have to look into this.

One question. Are you trying to access the uploaded files using the Google Drive app, or going back into Pages and using the WebDAV option when creating a new file? The second option is more likely to work.

When iCloud doesn't do what I want, I use Box.com for the iWorks apps. They also have a WebDAV server

OP
L

lakelander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here how I do that : I create a document in Pages.Than I go to settings and select share and print. From this screen I click on copy to WebDav.I enter https://dav-pocket.appspot.com/docs as my google drive DAV address than my goggle drive user name and password than I click on copy. There are three choices that I can upload my files as PDF, pages or world document. Pages won't work in google drive. I see my files uploaded from pages are sitting in my google drive . If I go through the web I can see the contents but if I use my Ipad google drive application , I only can see the names of the files but no content just blank pages.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That would be a problem with the Google Drive app. They probably forgot, or chose not to support the .pages (and other iWorks) extension(s). I uploaded a Pages document to my Google Drive, and the message I get when selecting it is that the file type is not supported.

Even though the file would not display, it was still possible to tap the share icon and use Open In to copy it back to Pages.

You should still be able to tap the (+) option in Pages' Documents view, then Copy from WebDAV. Use the same address and account login you used to export the document. I can not confirm this, because I am unwilling to get a Dav-Pocket account. I already have more than sufficient cloud accounts to track. ;)

Two other things I'll note.

One: GoodReader, a very handy app, has added Google Drive as one of the servers you can upload/download files with. This app is primarily a PDF viewer and annotator, but it also has decent file management, useful tools, and can connect to a wide variety of cloud and computer services. Very handy, and the method I used to get my document to Google Drive for testing. In iOS 6 Pages allows you to open documents in other apps. Google Drive is not shown, but GoodReader is (as are the Box and DropBox apps).

Two: Box.com which I mentioned earlier does preview iWorks files in the iPad app (not on the website). Unless you have a strong reason for using Google Drive for this purpose, you may want to look at it. iWorks files also display in the DropBox app.

In summary, Google Drive isn't a good choice for use with the iWorks apps at this point. It may improve in the future, but for now both DropBox and Box are superior, with the edge to Box.

OP
L

lakelander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes I already gave up the GD and start using Box .

Most reactions

Latest posts