What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardening!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its hard work but very therapeutic and well worth it when its done, We found it a bit scary chopping everything down but glad now.

It's definitely hard work but we look at it that it's how we keep fit without having to do actual workouts.....it's worked so far for us! ;)

We get a lot out of our garden, we just love strolling around it, especially at night....it's just lovely.....except for the spiders webs but we wave a stick around first! ;)

We've done some culling of trees in our garden too (we wants to do more too) and it is a very scary exercise, just not knowing if we're doing the right thing or not...but it is very rewarding in so many ways! :)

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So true. Our neighbour chopped down a leylandii and it's really opened up our greenhouse/veg area. Those things are a menace to society. Shouldn't be used as a hedge

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So true. Our neighbour chopped down a leylandii and it's really opened up our greenhouse/veg area. Those things are a menace to society. Shouldn't be used as a hedge
Years ago we put in about 50 Leylandi to form a hedge between us and a neighbours, Biggest mistake we ever made, Nothing would grow near them and roots got everywhere, After trying to control them for years we finally took the lot out, You're so right Hayles, They are a menace.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear I just planted two leylandi to block the neighbors windows. Bobbi

Oh my....that doesn't bode well then from what everyone is saying about them.

But hold in mind when you take a plant out of it's natural environment, it will grow differently in other climates. But then I planted a tree which originally came from China, it only grows to about 6 feet there.....but here it grew to 10 feet before I chopped it down! ;)

Good luck with yours!

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a privet hedge now Bobbi. So much easier to handle. Those Leylandii are monsters if left to grow out of hand. Just keep trimming it and keep an eye on it. We couldn't keep up with the height. It grew too high for us. We don't have the time to keep trimming it.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of our Leylandi that was on its own in the front garden grew to almost 30ft and it was touching the phone cable that stretched across to our neighbours house, We took that out in four pieces, Hayles is right, keep them trimmed and manageable.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The leylandi sounds good at 30 feet. I'm hoping to block my neighbors second story window eventually and I like the dark green as a background. One will be at one end of the yard and one will be at the other.. I also put in a cornus Kousa and a Nellie Stevens Holly.

I'm hoping it all lives
Bobbi

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The leylandi sounds good at 30 feet. I'm hoping to block my neighbors second story window eventually and I like the dark green as a background. One will be at one end of the yard and one will be at the other.. I also put in a cornus Kousa and a Nellie Stevens Holly.

I'm hoping it all lives
Bobbi
The Leylandi will just grow and grow if you let it, I used to take the tops off mine as someone told me it slows or stops them growing but it didn't, If I remember correctly they can grow about a foot a year.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Leylandi will just grow and grow if you let it, I used to take the tops off mine as someone told me it slows or stops them growing but it didn't, If I remember correctly they can grow about a foot a year.
I guess you wouldn't want to plant bamboo either, as some species can grow up to 91cm/day, (0.00003 km/h).

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ivy and Hayles, at 75 now I'll probably be too old to care by the time it gets too tall.

Sci, a neighbor of mine planted some bamboo 40 years ago. He lives on a creek. The bamboo now grows a mile down the creek.

Bobbi

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was curious Bobbi to see if I was remembering correctly so I googled it and they grow about 3 feet a year so you will soon block your neighbours window.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I did some more googling and see that this will be about a 20 year solution and then probably need to come down. At that point maybe I'll just get curtains if I'm still around.

Bobbi

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I did some more googling and see that this will be about a 20 year solution and then probably need to come down. At that point maybe I'll just get curtains if I'm still around.

Bobbi
Good plan lol.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love this time of year when my orchids start blooming!

image-4100931393.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts