What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gaming on an iPad

Whip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking at an iPad purchase for my wife. She enjoys computer games and I was looking at the available apps in the Apple store.
Are most of the Apple apps stored and played directly on an iPad or do you need a wifi or phone connection to play?
Our internet service has data limits and I am wondering if playing games on the iPad will be consuming data everytime you play?

Also, many of the games listed in the app store show that they are downloadable free, but then list a whole range of "Top In-App Purchases" listed. Does this mean that there is only a limited amount of free play available, and then you have to pay for additional use? [h=4][/h]

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am looking at an iPad purchase for my wife. She enjoys computer games and I was looking at the available apps in the Apple store.
Are most of the Apple apps stored and played directly on an iPad or do you need a wifi or phone connection to play?
Our internet service has data limits and I am wondering if playing games on the iPad will be consuming data everytime you play?

Also, many of the games listed in the app store show that they are downloadable free, but then list a whole range of "Top In-App Purchases" listed. Does this mean that there is only a limited amount of free play available, and then you have to pay for additional use?

If a game is multiplayer over the internet, then you need a connection. However, lots of them are just single player and thus you don't have to worry about that too much (but you'd better check because they could be accessing the internet each time you open one just to call home - it's hard to know for sure whats going out over the internet on a mobile device - if the game is not multiplayer than the impact is likely very small).

In-app purchases do open up extra features of the game, but you don't have to purchase them. However, most of the games become more interesting when you do. I have heard of people spending hundreds of $ on in-app purchases on games.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To add to AQ_OC's excellent advice:

Most free (non-social single player) games have ads, and will access the internet to download ads. For the most part this is not a big deal. The amount of data used is small. You can, of course, simply turn off wi-fi on the iPad if you want to prevent any use of your data plan. A few apps may not work properly when you prevent ads this way, but that is rare.

Me, I put up with the ads, because I recognize this is how I'm paying for the game. Unless they are really annoying, of course. Then I do without the game. Just like pricing a game, the developer needs to find a balance between what the game is worth to people and how much they are willing to pay, even if what they are paying with is their attention.

What in-app purchases do varies a lot from app to app. For fee apps all you are risking is a bit of disappointment. For paid for apps the description will usually tell you want the limitations are. As always, research what you buy.

OP
W

Whip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank for the replies - that makes sense. I fully understand the need for ads or for the developer to make something out of it somehow. Shouldn't be a problem for her if she can find some games she enjoys.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't personally like the freemium app model at all. I'd rather just pay the five bucks or whatever and get the full game. But, everyone wants apps to be free so here we are. No reason why developers shouldn't be compensated for their work. You end up paying more and having less a of a positive experience with the free games that require purchases. Oh well.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't personally like the freemium app model at all. I'd rather just pay the five bucks or whatever and get the full game. But, everyone wants apps to be free so here we are. No reason why developers shouldn't be compensated for their work. You end up paying more and having less a of a positive experience with the free games that require purchases. Oh well.

I could not agree more. I hate stupid ads popping up in my apps. They take up space, too, both in terms of storage on your device and in memory. Also, then divert the developers attention away from building an app to do what it is suppose to do into one where they are trying to find ways (as in ads) to get paid. I say any app worth keeping in my iPad is worth paying for. But the "get free stuff" mentality is in effect lowering the quality of apps, IMO. What's even worst though is when you pay for an app and you still see ads. Argh!

One of my favorite apps that has been ruined by the model is the magic piano. I would have been happy to pay say a yearly fee for their songs to play as I get an lot if relaxation from the app. However, it is one poorly written app and I refuse to pay for a app I know could be better implemented in code. And have they gone nuts with all the ads. I'm giving thought to deleting it from my iPad. They got rid of the glee app and replaced it with Sing! And all this social BS. That too has made me unhappy with them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some freemium apps (not many) do it well. Other's don't.

Bejeweled Blitz isn't too bad. You get a couple of adds when you open the game, then you play. As long as you are willing to put in the time earning your coins, you don't have to pay a thing, and the game itself is not interrupted or obscured at any point.

That said, I'll almost always take a paid version if it's offered.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I could not agree more. I hate stupid ads popping up in my apps. They take up space, too, both in terms of storage on your device and in memory. Also, then divert the developers attention away from building an app to do what it is suppose to do into one where they are trying to find ways (as in ads) to get paid. I say any app worth keeping in my iPad is worth paying for. But the "get free stuff" mentality is in effect lowering the quality of apps, IMO. What's even worst though is when you pay for an app and you still see ads. Argh! One of my favorite apps that has been ruined by the model is the magic piano. I would have been happy to pay say a yearly fee for their songs to play as I get an lot if relaxation from the app. However, it is one poorly written app and I refuse to pay for a app I know could be better implemented in code. And have they gone nuts with all the ads. I'm giving thought to deleting it from my iPad. They got rid of the glee app and replaced it with Sing! And all this social BS. That too has made me unhappy with them.

Yep, Real racing 3 has also been ruined and I'm staying with 2. It's too bad, I was so excited and then I read the many bad reviews that had nothing to do with actual gameplay but were all about the freemium model and it's awfulness. I'd like to thank all the cheap wads out there who have no problem paying $700 bucks for a tablet but can't seem to part with the three bucks for a freeging app. Nicely done. UGH! :(

Most reactions

Latest posts