What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustrating wifi problem.

jakeyjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Left for an overseas trip 2 weeks ago, bringing my iPhone and new iPad 2 with me. Both worked flawlessly, up until a day ago. iPhone connects to wifi, no problems. iPad connects to wifi, but does not "tick" next to the wifi name, gives me no Internet connection, but does show the wifi connection bars at the top. I have no laptop with me, it was working wonderful beforehand, and has happened with the past 2 wifi connections I've had, and the iPhone works great. I've tried all the basic suggestions (off/on, renew lease, reset, etc). I really need help as I need it for my travels.

Thanks guys!!!

OP
J

jakeyjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, forgot to mention, iPad tethers from iPhone perfectly still =\

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You didn't mention it, so I'll add this suggestion. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. You'll have to log back into all of your networks after doing this. All network names and passwords are erased.

Unfortunately the usual fix for the problem you are describing is to reset the router (turn off for a few minutes, then back on). Since you are traveling I'm guessing you don't have access to the router to try this; though it probably wouldn't hurt to ask whoever does manage it.

Routers can decide not to work with specific devices (based on MAC addresses), and unfortunately iPads have a history of causing this more often than other devices; especially with routers running out of date firmware. When this happens the router allows a radio connection (your signal bars show that), but does not assign an address. You can tell by going into the network settings and looking. While it may show a self assigned iP address, you will not see any entries in the DNS or Router fields.

Most reactions

Latest posts