What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustrated with IPad, can't even get logged in demands WIFI

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was given an WiFi by a family member, I don't want to use this myself but sell it online.
I'd just like to be able to get on the system so I can tell what model it is and OS level, software, etc, in order to sell the item.
However when I turn on the Ipad, it asks for language, and then immediately demands I give it my Internet router password.
Of course I want to do nothing of the sort! I don't want to sell this and have someone have access to my Internet.
I also don't have "ITunes", I have never had an Apple and don't plan to.
Surely someone has come across this problem before? How in the world do you just get on the machine. I don't want to configure it for my own use.
HELP! Thank you.

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies, I can't seem to figure out how to edit my post. I was given an IPAD, not a WiFi. I don't know why it switched the word.

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it only appears to allow me to edit the title, not any of my text. Well this is going to go well.

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK one more question.
How do you edit a post in this forum? I would like to make corrections with my post please!

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may just have to find another forum. I can't communicate online if I can't update my posts. Its too difficult.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At the bottom left of your post there should be a light gray Edit link. Right next to the one that says Report.

The first thing an iPad does when you turn it on is start the setup. There is no bypassing this. You should be able to skip the Wi-Fi connection. Or maybe not. You probably can't complete a full setup without an internet connection.

The modle and serial number are printed on the back of the iPad. just below where it says give the general name of the iPad modle: iPad, iPadPro, iPadAir, etc. It's very small, light, and hard to read. Use a magnifying glass, or take a picture of it with your phone and blow it up. Or maybe your eyes are better than mine, which is likely.

If you recieved the original box with the iPad it also has this info printed on it.

You can look up the model number online to see what the common name/year of the model.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, if you complete the setup, you would/should be erasing the iPad before selling it anyway. Your Wi-Fi password will not stay with the iPad. The next person to receive it will net to go through the same steps you do to set it up.

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks-----
The front is nothing but glass.
The back says "Cadillac", IPad, and funky hard-to-read letters that look like FCXCE-I
The I has a circle around it.
Theres also some microprint there, it looks like an eye test lol.
I'll see if I can find a magnifying glass. Jeez. Well they don't make it easy do they lol

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW.
Yeah ok. After I got out my microscope it looks like Model A 1458. Its an older model I'm sure. Hopefully not obsolete to sell but I know how fast that happens

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope that there is no serialization required with these? The previous owner says they wiped it clean of personal information so I would assume its fine for anybody to use right.

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to find out the capacity? 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB?
I can't log in to see

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hope that there is no serialization required with these? The previous owner says they wiped it clean of personal information so I would assume its fine for anybody to use right.

Since you are going straight to the setup, it's been wiped clean. The only other possible problem would be if they did not remove it from their account. They can do the without the iPad, so if it is a problem they can clear it up, providing you still have the contact info..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How to find out the capacity? 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB?
I can't log in to see

I don't know of any way to do that on an iPad without setting up the ipad. At this point I'm assuming you do not have the original box. That information would have been printed there as well.

If I were you I'd just go through the setup procedure. Once you have all the info you need, go to the Settings App > Genera > Transfer or Reset iPad (at the bottom of the General options) > Erase all Contents and Settings. This will put the iPad back in the same condition you received it.

If you're dead set on not giving the ipad access to you own network, you could probsbly do the setup in a library or other public network.

The two benifits are you'll be able to go to Settings > General > About and gather all the info you need. Being able to get through the entire setup will also confirm that the previous owner removed the iPad from their account, unlocking the anti-theft feature.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To answer one of your first questions, here is a screenshot of where the edit link/button is on your posts.

1CD66485-D1D4-4B53-89A8-56C805E6254F.jpeg

OP
J

jeffjot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to connect it to my phone, I just gave up.
I absolutely hate that you are required to give anything Cloud access just to use it. That's so incredibly invasive. Like god forbid you do anything on your OWN tablet without at least somebody being able to spy on you.
uchhhh.

Most reactions

Latest posts