Folks couldnt see screen difference!

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by backudog, Apr 6, 2012.

1. backudog

backudog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ive been loving my new ipad 3 for a coupla weeks now and had given my ipad 2 to my stepmum for mothers day (it was only 2 months old), and yesterday i finally took my ipad 3 round to show them the differences between the two (they couldn't understand why i had needed to buy a new one so soon). I loaded up a book on both, then some pics, and apps, to show off the screen, expecting some "ooohs" and "aaahhhs", but they genuinelly said they couldn't see the difference! :confused: even when both were running side by side! :eek: but to me and im sure to a lot of you guys the difference was like night and day! the new screen is so much sharper/clearer ,colour is better ,everything about it is better imo. does anyone else NOT see the difference between the two ipads when run side by side? are my folks mutants or something?!? lol.

and no, they werent just winding me up. :)

2. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    To really see the difference make sure you have an app that is updated to support the screen. The other factor is mature adults like me have eye issues and they may not see the different however in saying that the text is so much clearer it is not funny. I have both ipad2 and iPad 3 every one I show say wow that is so clear.

3. jawa6306

jawa6306
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm not even a mature adult and the the difference isn't as pronounced for me. Only when I'm wearing contacts instead of glasses do I see a significant color/clarity difference.

4. Andyvalver

Andyvalver
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have the iPad 3 and on my first look at te iPad 2 and 3 side by side in the shop I found it hard to tell. Having owned one for a while my eyes have adjusted and I can now definatly tell when I pick up the old
    iPad. I can see the pixels on it that I need noticed before.

5. Texas Holders

Texas Holders
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I would say the difference is about what the difference is between 720p and 1080p. I can easily tell the difference, others not so much.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. Vertigo1

Vertigo1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate that some older people have deteriorating eyesight but I'm honestly staggered how many younger people have told me they can't see a difference, even when I load up stuff where there is a marked difference.

I'm genuinely think a lot of people need to get their eyesight checked. I'm not just saying that - I wonder how many people have never bothered getting an eyesight test and so possibly don't realise there's anything wrong.

7. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you read PDF of articles from technical journals, then you can see the difference immediately. Reading tiny type on webpages shows the difference immediately. But I would say that for most people who just look at the screen from 15inches to 2 ft away aren't going to see any difference. For a 10-inch display, you need to be within 1ft of the screen to tell 1080p from 720p. I think most people will view beyond this distance. But when I'm reading, I'm near a foot from the screen, give or take depending on what I'm going. Sometimes much farther away, but sometimes within 1 ft, if I'm reading something very intently. Since I do a lot of this kind of reading, this upgrade is a complete no-brainer for me. And the 4G LTE is a lovely thing to have on a tablet. Having better than wifi speed when on travel is something that will spoil you rotten.

8. ajcgn

ajcgn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I started to dislike the pixilation on the iPad 2 even before I knew there was a new iPad. I probably got spoiled by the iPhone 4.

9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Why worry about whether other people see the diff on your iPad?

If you see the diff and find it useful, that's all that matters. If you eat something, do you require that other people enjoy its taste, too? Lol.

10. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's funny. If I paid $800 for whatever I ate, I might! :)