What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Flick Away" Apps?

LTCSZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this a myth or true: My grandson told me that every now and then I should quickly tap the Home Button two times and "flick away" the resulting app screens that appear...He says it saves memory...Is this true or did he pick up some bad schoolyard info? Thanks...

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mixed opinions ;)

I personally agree, and do this, mainly to close infrequently used apps. It seems to keep my iPad ship-shape. Some will say that you don't need to and that the iPad will close out apps if memory is running low and required for something else, but I find the iPad can get sluggish before that point.

It is always good to close out a non responsive app that way before trying the more advanced troubleshooting scenarios.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is this a myth or true: My grandson told me that every now and then I should quickly tap the Home Button two times and "flick away" the resulting app screens that appear...He says it saves memory...Is this true or did he pick up some bad schoolyard info? Thanks...

Well although others may disagree, constantly going into the 'multitask screen' and closing out apps is pretty much unnecessary and 'snake oil' advice - I only enter that screen if an app is misbehaving and I want to do a 'Force Close' which often will bring the app back to life.

There are plenty of discussions on the web about whether this is needed, e.g. HERE, but the bottom line for me is that it is a waste of time - furthermore, closing these apps and then reopening them likely expends more of your battery and resources.

NOW, if an app is running background services (checking emails, locations, etc.), then might be worth closing but I would even debate that assumption. For me, I just close an app if it's not working which often corrects the problem - my 2 cents. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts