What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've often wondered by the brilliant programmers here haven't created some sort of nifty little program that will recognize the "F" word in a subject line (or message) and automatically reroute the thread to the many existing threads on the same topic. Redundancy avoidance.

Well Aspasia, my apologies. I did read through a thread and I will be looking at others.

The mere fact that this isn't the first thread on the subject may leave you peeved, but it should also tell you that perhaps the gripe has some merit.

If I were allergic to peanuts, I wouldn't eat peanuts. I'd always make sure that anyone preparing my food would also never add a peanut. But what would you have me do if almost every type of food had peanuts in it? Tell me to quit eating? Tell me to survive on water?

Flash is just a peanut. Never have I had a problem with it. I see it everywhere I go on the net. Depriving me of something I don't seem to have an allergy to seems silly. Beating me about the face and head with an iPad won't change that.

Still on the fence...I'll keep reading. :D

No need for any apologies, Mr. McNair. I'm not at all peeved and my comments weren't really directed at you but towards the subject as a whole.

While I'm relatively new here, I've read enough threads on the topic to realize they turn into heated exchanges for the most part. Worse, there are some folks who buy iPads without any research and then proceed to bitterly attack Apple because it refuses to support Flash, as well as anyone who defends the absence of Flash.

I think there are two schools: those who believe they can't "experience" the Internet without it, and those who don't even notice it's missing.

You will discover that by researching and reading the threads, as suggested by Sweet Poison. If you do so, you'll also come across a link setting forth Steve Jobs' thoughts about Flash. It's a good read.

Reaction score
I am considering a purchase of a new iPad 2, but one of the reasons I have forgone the purchase of an iPad was that it had no Flash support.

How is the browsing experience with no Flash support? And, why would I want to invest in an iPad 2 if I can only experience a percentage of the internet?

I found at first the no Flash experience to be quite a pain because there are some sites that have Flash that I need to use.
I found Puffin Browser to be quite sufficient to meet the needs. Be warned your battery life will suffer when using it.
I am also finding more and more sites that will re render to whatever the iPad uses than when I first got my iPad1 and I've only had mine since the week they announced the ipad2 was coming out ( I waited because I got a very nice discount by waiting)
I'm also finding more and more apps for what I used to use the browser for as well, especially news, shopping, sports,etc. I even found myverizon this evening to keep track of my cell phone account, another website I won't need anymore. Next I'll be looking for apps for my banks and Bill Oreilly

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Oh please. Someone hide this thread quickly :D

Searching for 'Flash' on this forum will lead you to the results you want and prevent this topic from trailing off into a flame war. Flash is the most hotly debated topic.

Having said this: Which you two beat me to it ~

We are all going to be very respectful and helpful to Mr. Trent McNair, simply because he has not bought his iPad yet and needs guidance. This is a good thing:)

SweetPoison, thank you for the respectful and graceful way that you responded to this particular thread. Everyone here knows that this could have gone south very quickly. You handled this perfectly. On a less serious note... This thread is scheduled for demolition in... 10, 9, 8...

Doggie55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash isn't Apple.(The short answer) Someone even said the ipad isn't a computer. Oh ok. fine.
With flash you could make games and exchange them for free without buying anything from the appstore. Why is that discouraged? Maybe the ipad isn't a computer. I'm gonna have to lie down a bit. I think I'm feeling a bit faint.
LOL
;)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What something is or isn't can be amusing or aggravating. It depends on who you ask. Apple says the iPad is not a computer, but for lack of a better category, it is lumped with computers in most sales figures. For those who demand Flash for whatever misguided reason, take heart. Android 3.1 will be released soon, and it promises to fix the problems Flash 10.2 was suppose to resolve.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer the OP's question, its annoying not having it. If you read the news and especially if you read blogs of any kind, its annoying completely missing out on content because of Apple's decision. There are workarounds to get flash on the ipad which involve crappy third party browsers which are almost universally awful for different reasons, but they work in an absolute crunch if you need flash.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am considering a purchase of a new iPad 2, but one of the reasons I have forgone the purchase of an iPad was that it had no Flash support.

How is the browsing experience with no Flash support? And, why would I want to invest in an iPad 2 if I can only experience a percentage of the internet?
Although the subject has been beaten to death here and elsewhere it's a legitimate question for someone considering the purchase of an iPad.

So honestly? My wife and I have been using our iPad for almost a year now. We do quite a bit of web browsing. Have we missed Flash? Once in a long while it can be annoying to come across a site that's still using it, but they are becoming less and less prevalent so it's not enough to give it a second thought. Most sites are converting to other methods of delivering video and there are work arounds if you can't live without it.

There are just so many things that make the iPad terrific that lack of Flash support is a non-issue for us though...I'd guess it would be for you as well.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trent McNair said:

Before I had my iPad I had no idea how much of my browsing experience was flash based......after buying my iPad I would say less than 5%, much less than 5%. I can't actually recall the last time I landed on a site and it didn't work due to Flash.

Obviously your browsing habits may be different to mine.......why not list your main sites and we can try them out for you?

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Flash. Well ~ at least you are doing some research before you buy. I have had my iPad for almost a year and I go to lots of sites. Not once have I been not able to, actually ~ that is not true. Once, it told me "this device doesn't support Flash" I forget what site it was.

You must remember the ipad is not a computer. Ask yourself what you plan on doing with it ~ why you want an iPad.

And research Flash here and read and read.

Others will chime in to help ~ just remember that flash is a sensitive topic here....

Oh Mrs P, dear Mrs P, Sweet Mrs P.......the iPad is definitely and undisputedly a computer, I know if you put it next to your windows machine it will look different but trust me on this, the iPad is a computer.

The Archangel

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can honestly say that I don't miss flash at all whilst browsing tintinernet with the iPad, very rarely do I come across a site that indicates I need 'flash player'. The iPad is computing on a different level, one which I adore. Go for the flash free iPad, I'm sure you won't regret it, hundreds of thousands of other users can't be wrong!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can honestly say that I don't miss flash at all whilst browsing tintinernet with the iPad, very rarely do I come across a site that indicates I need 'flash player'. The iPad is computing on a different level, one which I adore. Go for the flash free iPad, I'm sure you won't regret it, hundreds of thousands of other users can't be wrong!

you are right but millions of users is more accurate that does not include iPod touch and iPhones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts