What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash Drive

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I run a program from a USB drive. Is there an adapter I can buy to use a flash drive on my iPad 2? I know for my Windows Dell Venue 8 tablet I bought OTG converters

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Even if you manage to connect a USB drive to the iPad (difficult and limited uses), you would not be able to run an app from it.

Especially an app that runs on a Windows device. It would not be compatible with iOS.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the iPad app already. So you can't run an app from a USB drive on iPad? Guess I'll run it from the HDD. Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have the iPad app already. So you can't run an app from a USB drive on iPad? Guess I'll run it from the HDD. Thanks

Well, if you have the iPad app, why not just put it on your device and use?

As already stated, the iPad does not have a standard USB connection as on other types of computers, so just not an option - the only choice is the CCK (Camera Connection Kit) shown below (and which I've used for 3 yrs w/ my iPad 2) - for the old 30-pin connector, there are two adapters, one for a camera's SD card and the other for a USB connection meant to be used w/ a digital camera for downloading images.

Now, there are some peculiarities about formatting the SD card for transferring other types of files but from my experience not worth the effort - Dave :)
iPad-camera-connection-kit.jpg

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I can buy the CCK kit and use the USB one for my flash drive? Thanks! My flash drive has all the info (the program saves passes and logins) so to use the app I'd have to enter and save all over

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So I can buy the CCK kit and use the USB one for my flash drive? Thanks! My flash drive has all the info (the program saves passes and logins) so to use the app I'd have to enter and save all over

No, I did not state that you can use a USB drive w/ the iPad w/ the CCK but implied the opposite, i.e. the kit is used mainly to connect to your digital camera and/or its SD card - it will not work for transfer of other types of files - please look at this Apple Support Article before buying the CCK in hopes of using a generic USB drive - will not work - sorry. Dave :)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read about it and saw you can't use it. Then I thought of a 30-pin to USB adapter cable. I probably have a few here but need to be sure I won't blow up my iPad when trying it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It won't blow up your iPad, but it won't work either. The iPad does not support the kind of file system you need to run apps off of an external device.

The most that can be done is to use a third party app to transfer files on/off the iPad; and for that there are more efficient and reliable solutions, such as the AirStash, and a couple other wi-fi storage solutions that I can't remember the names of.

The use cases are pretty much limited to external storage for media files. You still could not run an app from the external device.

There is no solution that will allow you to run an app from an external device. None. iOS has no provision to make it possible. It's not a matter of whether you can get the USB drive to show up on the iPad. It's the fact the the OS does not support the feature.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It won't blow up your iPad, but it won't work either. The iPad does not support the kind of file system you need to run apps off of an external device.......

Hi TP - I was about to post similar advice but not in your elegant prose - :)

The OP does not seem to understand the point of our discussions - hope that your comments will help further. In addition, I still do not understand the need to run an iPad app off a USB device (the name of the app has not been given?) vs. just using the iPad - we need some courtesy here in explaining what the goals may be? Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - I was about to post similar advice but not in your elegant prose - :)

Excuse me while I blush :0, and resist the urge to go back and edit the post so that it deserves the compliment. :)

The OP does not seem to understand the point of our discussions - hope that your comments will help further. In addition, I still do not understand the need to run an iPad app off a USB device (the name of the app has not been given?) vs. just using the iPad - we need some courtesy here in explaining what the goals may be? Dave

It would help if we knew what the purpose or desired result was. There might be alternative ways approach the solution, or not.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. Please remember I'm new to iOS having started with Windows 3.1.

The program is RoboForm

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. Please remember I'm new to iOS having started with Windows 3.1.

The program is RoboForm

Looks like a decent password app. Why would you want to run it on a USB drive? It syncs online via an account and uses up-to-date encryption. It should work just fine on the iPad.

I note that it isn't doing well in the ratings. But if you are already using their service for other platforms and have a large collection of passwords, it would probably have to work very poorly for you to consider switching to another app.

Hold in mind that the reviews can often be misleading. People are prone to giving one star reviews for spurious reasons; like the app doesn't have the one feature that 'they' think it needs, or they bought it under the impression it does something it doesn't promise. Reviews really should be limited to whether the app delivers on the promises made in the description and overall usability. Only my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I run it on Wndows and have had no issues with the update. I got mine at their site so never saw the reviews. Several months ago a computer magazine recommended it. Plus I know bugs crawl out during updates at times but you need to tell their support team.

I'm going to try the app on this iPad and see how it goes.

Most reactions