What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first ipad

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to the world of iPad (as far as physically having one). I have no issues with my device, no bleeding, crashing, no faulty wifi or FaceTime. I haven't upgraded to 4.3.2, but all is well. I just have one small incy wincy issue. That is: what is the average time it takes to get to full charge. I am pulling an all-nighter for a paper. I am just taking my time and working slowly over my tracks. When I opened my package, the iPad was at about 87%, which was good. I didn't charge it. I just synced it and went from there. I was working ON THE IPAD, but I have switched to a desktop. I am just using the iPad to stay awake, watching NETFLIX (flawless playback by the way). When I started charging 5 hours ago, it was on 45%, now its on 70%. Is this because I am actively using the iPad while charging or because it just charges slowly? I am using the OEM sync cable and all is well. Should I turn it off while I finish my life. What are your thoughts. I'm open for suggestions...

BTW I LOVE MY IPAD!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
Should I turn it off while I finish my life. What are your thoughts. I'm open for suggestions...

This was too funny. I had no idea you already reached that part of your life.

Anyhow, using the iPad does use up the battery, so it is to be expected that charging takes longer. When mine charges from 0%, it can take up to 12h to reach a full charge, depending on the usage. It is much faster when the iPad is asleep.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're using the supplied iPad charger. Yes - when you're using the iPad and charging at the same time it most certainly takes longer than if you're charging an iPad that's switched off completely or in Sleep mode. Your times seem about right to me. No need to worry, though. Enjoy watching Netflix...

Glad you have no problems with your iPad....

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i find my ipad charges normally (over a few hours) as expected when plugged into the mains, but when on my office desk all day it's plugged into the usb, which isn't strong enough to charge as you'd ideally like (it does charge but very very gradually), but at least this keeps the charge so to speak. plugging it into my use on my desk top pc keeps it at a good constant level when i then use it during the day.

OP
HKWrite12

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't know what word I was Tryna put when life came up. I turned it off and plugged it in the wall again. I need it to fill up. Were gonna have a long day tomorrow if I don't pass out.

OP
HKWrite12

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery life is awesome, i have done everything from netflix to pandora to writing and playing puzzles. The battery is just slipping like one percent every 10 minutes.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Must admit I haven't tested my battery out yet.

I charge it up to 100% for the start of each day, before I unplug it and stick it on my office desk for general office usage. By end of day it's probably down to maybe 30-40%. That's pretty amazing. My Touch runs out very fast unless it's on a constant charge.

OP
HKWrite12

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Must admit I haven't tested my battery out yet.

I charge it up to 100% for the start of each day, before I unplug it and stick it on my office desk for general office usage. By end of day it's probably down to maybe 30-40%. That's pretty amazing. My Touch runs out very fast unless it's on a constant charge.

What gen is touch.

OP
HKWrite12

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having another issue. I was seeing ppl mentioning wifi issues and now I'm in that same boat.

I had these same problems with my phone at some point.

I'm at a university and have to login to a server for wireless. This is usually a matter of clicking join and typing but sometimes it freezes the iOS product or won't pop up.

I've been online all day and had just finished watchig a moving on airvideo. Brief break ad wifi times out. I've been trying for an hour to get a reconnect. No luck. What to do guys?

Mistweaver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may need to update the OS as I heard that this might fix the problem. It's worth looking around to see if this does indeed help first before you jump in and update though I would say.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That brings a question to mind. Should the IPAD automatically change to WiFi when in range And switch off the g 3 connection?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
zipur said:
That brings a question to mind. Should the IPAD automatically change to WiFi when in range And switch off the g 3 connection?

I don't have the 3G model iPad, but with the iPhone it auto selects the best connection, I.e. If wifi is available it will use that instead of 3G

I would have thought that the iPad would do the same

OP
HKWrite12

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mistweaver said:
You may need to update the OS as I heard that this might fix the problem. It's worth looking around to see if this does indeed help first before you jump in and update though I would say.

Unfortunately, my computer hates iOS updates, and will never download them. I will in deed try again. As you can see it's in the AM in the states. I went to sleep and woke up and she was connected with all kinds of alerts.

zipur said:

I don't have a 3G model but I have an iPhone. It doesn't switch off the 3G, just appropriates the connectivity because you can't text and talk with wifi. On the iPad, it probably pauses but occasionally pings or so.

Thanks guys, I will try to upgrade and maybe ask this IT guy I know with iOS.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have found that if my WiFi is poor it will not automatically switch to 3G like I thought it should.... I have to turn off WiFi to make it use 3G :(

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Harters said:
I have found that if my WiFi is poor it will not automatically switch to 3G like I thought it should.... I have to turn off WiFi to make it use 3G :(

Unfortunately, because it is detecting a wifi connection, no matter how weak it is, it will use that instead of 3g

Most reactions

Latest posts