What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 not charging

hashcrash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 charged perfectly for 2 months, then started only charging at full charge speed intermittently but would still slowly charge (no charging indicator), and now is not charging at all. During the period of charging problems it has only been recognized once by my Macbook, and now not at all. I am using the supplied charger, the supplied cable, and have also tried various other cables including a Griffin cable and car charger meant for the iPad.
I have looked at my old iPad 1 internal dock connector (I never had charging problems with my iPad 1) and it is silver in appearance and I can see the "teeth" clearly. My iPad 2 internal dock connector is black and I cannot see the teeth.
I don't know if that can be the problem.
Any suggestions?

sekelani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would restore your iPad.
First back up then restore from back up.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you plugging the iPad into the wall socket? That's the best (and most efficient way) to charge the iPad. Yes, some newer Macs will do a full charge on the iPad - but Apple still recommends wall charging.

If not that, and if you've tried other cables, then sorry, but I've no idea.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the problem has been getting progressively worse it does sound like you may have a damaged pin or two, particularly if the Mac won't recognise it, or at least only very intermittently.

I suggest a quick trip to your nearest Genius Bar. I'm sure they'll replace it for you.

OP
H

hashcrash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
I am trying to charge my ipad with the original charger and cable to the outlet.
I would try to backup and restore the ipad but for the fact that it won't sync.
I am still puzzled by the appearance of the internal dock connector. Can anyone out there have a look at their internal dock and say how it looks.
Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the two iPads I have here have the same appearance you describe. The iPad1 has a silver part inside it, while the iPad2 has black.

Hope that alleviates some concerns.

Marilyn

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use a torch to see the condition of pins easily. If they are ok then change the cable. You can also measure the voltage at the outer two points of charger's USB port. If it is dc 5 volt then charger is ok.

Most reactions

Latest posts